Odd Stuff (Part 5)

Oh, two-element swearwords. How cute.

13 Likes

“poopshit” gets a surprising amount of attention… I wonder if it’s pretty much just the one guy saying it.

7 Likes

Can’t quite compete with gems like, say, Weischwurstwassersterkerleislutscher on any level.

16 Likes

Sadly, us English speakers are a simple folk. Despite it being a Germanic language, we just haven’t mastered the wonderfully expressive compound words that German speakers can manifest.

12 Likes

I was never great at homework.

13 Likes

I don’t think it’s polite.

14 Likes

12 Likes

That chart is mentioned in this marvellous episode of Words Unravelled:

3 Likes

Hair plucking too. Be careful in there!

10 Likes

Written as spoken. Which adds an additional level of difficulty for translation.

Weißwurst
Bavarian type of sausage made from veal. Not grilled but cooked/warmed in hot water.

Weißwurstwasser
The water left over after cooking the sausages.

Steckerleis = Eis am Stiel
Ice lolly.
A candy lolly would be a Lutscher.
(A pacifier would also be a Lutscher.)

Also, lutschen
To lick or suck at a lolly or bonbon or… something else entirely.
So a person who is licking or sucking something might also be called a Lutscher.

To sum it all up:
Either just an ice lolly made from said leftover water itself or someone who consumes one.
Or both.

16 Likes
2 Likes

And is that a bad or a good thing?

4 Likes

I guess something is lost in translation, and seems to imply foolish person but shorter English phrases seem to get the point better, like windae licker.

3 Likes

I was being flippant, but I would like to know if the person insulted would be considered daft; greedy; mean or poor (as in not wasting a scrap); or something else?

4 Likes

I’m not a native German speaker, so I can’t give an accurate answer but stomach says foolish person, but I too would be glad to corrected by one of the native German speakers here.

2 Likes

The problem with German insults is that the object has got bored and wandered off before you finish.

20 Likes

20 Likes
6 Likes

16 Likes

Ah, you once showed us a picture of said white sausage, served to the table in a bowl of hot water.

Mm, sausage-water lolly. Yum :neutral_face:

9 Likes