Odd Stuff (Part 5)

Banksy: Council calls in police to find Peckham art worth up to £500,000

5 Likes

That’s one of the reasons why this is the only blade i’m comfortable with carrying (along with that pain in the ass bleeding disorder). You can’t even threaten a chipmunk with that thing tucked inside of that can opener lol

4 Likes

This is clearly designed to hijack an airplane.

4 Likes

Hahah unlikely. A wallet card was a better alternative compared to the keychain tools that used to poke into my thigh and catch onto my pocket.

2 Likes
5 Likes

On the one hand, speeding, weaving through traffic, and running red lights without using lights and sirens seems pretty dangerous to other people on the road. On the other hand, the more time that cops spend chasing each other around is less time that they spend shooting people who call 911 and planting evidence. Probably a net positive.

8 Likes

I’ve noticed police vehicles and ambulances belatedly turn on their lights without any siren more than once. It makes no sense to have all those ways to alert other drivers to get out of the way, but they don’t bother to use them. Of course, that might set drivers up for citations. We’ve got newer laws for protecting police and first responders from drivers who fail to get out of the way or give them enough room to work:

7 Likes
8 Likes

In the US and Canada, CWD has gained attention not only because it affects big-game animals but also because of the possibility that it could jump the species barrier. Deer, elk and moose could infect livestock, other mammals, birds or even humans. Epidemiologists say the absence of a “spillover” case yet does not mean it will not happen. CWD is one of a cluster of fatal neurological disorders that includes BSE.

“The BSE [mad cow] outbreak in Britain provided an example of how, overnight, things can get crazy when a spillover event happens from, say, livestock to people,” Anderson says. “We’re talking about the potential of something similar occurring. No one is saying that it’s definitely going to happen, but it’s important for people to be prepared.”

Dr Raina Plowright, a disease ecologist at Cornell University, says CWD should be viewed against a backdrop of dangerous emerging zoonotic pathogens that are moving back and forth across species barriers between humans, livestock and wildlife globally. Outbreaks occur as human settlements and agricultural operations press deeper into environments where contact with disease-carrying animals is increasing.

With the hunting season under way in the US, the US Centers for Disease Control and individual states strongly recommend that harvested game animals be tested for disease, and that meat from cervids that appear ill should not be consumed.

The Alliance for Public Wildlife estimated in 2017 that 7,000 to 15,000 CWD-infected animals a year were unwittingly being eaten by humans, and that the number was expected to increase 20% annually. In Wisconsin, where testing of game meat is voluntary, Anderson and Osterholm say many thousands of people have probably eaten meat from infected deer.

5 Likes

Renders alarm clocks powerless.

7 Likes

Mom! The bed is staring at me!

7 Likes

Sorry- but I think the Germans isolated cocaine back in the 1800’s. And it was enjoyed, endorsed and regretted by generations since.

7 Likes
9 Likes

It’s still good.

6 Likes

Was it ever though?

4 Likes

It’s still as good as it was a hundred years ago.

14 Likes

An acceptable answer

11 Likes

I should have been a diplomat.

8 Likes

9f904712-f79c-4512-a169-ce8a16581449_thumb

8 Likes

think i’d prefer a bit of Shackleton’s scotch to Scott’s fruitcake, thanks.

8 Likes