Off-duty Omaha cops kill two men in alleyway

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/05/off-duty-omaha-cops-kill-two-men-in-alleyway.html

1 Like

Prediction: they’re going to make a (likely successful) “qualified immunity” claim to avoid accountability even though they were off-duty.

13 Likes

Law and order!

/s

7 Likes

the men shot by the officers’ gunfire

First time I heard this one.

12 Likes

Well, saying, “murdered by cops” is a bit inflammatory, you know. /s

5 Likes

When a press release prominently contains the phrase “we are committed to transparency” while not clearing anything up, well, good luck.

It has been less than 24 hours. The only thing OPD has right now is two dead bodies and statements from the officers. Article even says they are still working to get CCTV footage from nearby businesses.

You can be as cynical as you want about transparency, but when a press release says “we don’t know yet, we are working it”, well, that’s pretty transparent if they really don’t know.

Releasing the cops’ side of the story before verifying anything would be worse.

6 Likes

ACAB! seems obvious.

6 Likes

if it weren’t for the fact the police are a) investigating themselves b) releasing the names of the victims but not the attackers, and c) giving information without verification that seeks to create a particular narrative ( ex. they claim a gun was found in the vehicle. ) then… i’d give more weight to the idea of “wait and see”

it doesn’t even sound like they’ve suspended the cops during investigation.

20 Likes

Well the lies are transparent…

“He’s coming right for us!” Officer Barbrady

It’s a pretty violent weaponization of the passive voice.

2 Likes

FTA:

The department confirmed those officers are now on paid administrative leave per the department’s policy and will be interviewed at a later date.

Paid leave, but yes they are “suspended”. Paid leave during an investigation is typical. Unless there is immediate proof of wrongdoing, the standard of “innocent until proven guilty” applies to cops too. The police unions make sure of it.

2 Likes

i didn’t see that in the article i read, so i appreciate that extra information.

innocent until proven guilty is great. however, the investigations into cops - as i said - are rarely independent, and with that plus unreasonable immunity ( or whatever it’s called ), it rarely even reaches the point of charges… which is when such things apply.

we do seem willing to put other people in jail for years in some cases before a trial. principles matter more for some groups of people than others, i guess.

cops and the institution of policing deserve no special benefit of doubt. they should be held to a higher standard with greater transparency than everyone else, not less.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.