Officemax sends junkmail address to "Daughter Killed In Car Crash"

A few years ago I lived with a deaf roommate, we’ll call her Jane Doe. She at times received pieces of junk mail addressed to Jane Deaf Doe. She made sure to patronize those businesses. Not.

I think there are suitable candidates for who should apologize. It’s not that the mail got sent addressed that way, it’s that two people insisted it couldn’t have happened. Someone really slipped up in training these two morons, and that person would be appropriate to apologize. And the CEO for a corporate culture where anyone thinks this was a good idea.

1 Like

I consulted in a couple of places that had customer tracking systems that could easily have produced just this result. If data entry happens through alias/mask/“user friendly” screens, sometimes two departments begin using a field for two different purposes. So the mailing list maintenance office (whatever it’s called officially) uses that field for an optional line in the address, probably the company name or maybe job title: Fred Derf, Office Manager, or Fred Derf, PROC Corp. And their data entry screen says: “Company”, "Title,"etc. Meanwhile, sales/marketing may be using it for “basis of contact,” i.e. “Why do we know this person? Why do we send to this address?” and so the their screen may very well say, “Purpose for future contacts,” "Basis of sales relationship, " “Originating event of this contact.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.