Offworld returns

hahahah.

How about a board game that appears to have altogether too many pieces, maps, and cards; is based on the protestant reformation; and requires 6 players who don’t mind backstabbing each other? (Here I Stand)

I think I might have to lobby, in some productive way, for board games to get more coverage too. Only because I saw the two crowds at PAX, and the overlap was obvious.

Oh, and board games other than Monopoly and Sorry help you get along with people better and have real-life friends, in addition to the virtual ones. [cough cough]

I knew I was going to mangle my point, but anyway…

The page says

“This will be an unequivocal home for women and minorities, whose voices will make up most of the work published here”

On this, I can read it 2 ways.

• It is, mainly, about women and minorities on gaming. Which is a very noble goal, and I desire them the best, and I may read some articles on it, but is very different from

• It is mainly about games. Also done mainly by women and minorities, but it is mainly about games. Which may make it an alternative to sites I’ve running away from, for example, The Escapist.

It makes the difference between interesting site with an agenda that I read sometimes to find about the women & minority POV on gaming or being there with RPS as my source of gaming news.

Both things are more than ok and supported by me, one is going to see me a lot more in there

1 Like

You can. Maybe my point was missed.

neither matters, and your negativity is causing your to come off as a smarmy condescenting ass mansplaining himself!

You have every right to go on and on about your terrible set of expectations. Don’t let me stop you, do, go on with the sockpuppet theatre if you think it the best way to achieve change and a sense of control in this world.

Or, go one about ethics! Whatever blows your hair back.Whatever gets you hard, man.

1 Like

It means, among other things, that:

1. Most of Offworld’s contributors will be from groups that are often marginalized in gaming, such as women and minorities.
  2. That readers turned off by equivocal moderation and false balance at some existing game sites might feel at home with Offworld’s clear editorial agenda and strongly moderated discussion environment.
3 Likes

It won’t happen, it is not specifically targeted at the audience that Offworld wants to target, and at the same time it is ideologically impure.

My negativity right now is 100% on you and 0% on them

I dont have a “terrible set of expectations”. I just want to know if Offworld is going to be Feminist Frequency (which I like, but I dont read for gaming news, because it doesnt have any) or is going to be a game news site with a feminist/minority point of view. Both things are good - I just want to know which is it. That is all and I’ve said it 2 times already.

You have moved from that to suckpuppet, GG, “negativity” (can you point where I said it should not be done, whatever it is?), whatever. All cause I wanted to know the FOCUS of the site. I went out of my way to say that whatever it is, I’m more than ok with it existing, just want to know what it is.

So, frankly, the only one “getting hard” on this is you.

Kinda suggest you get down of your horse. Or not, I dont care.

1 Like

And I like both ideas, and thank for your time to say it. But what I dont get, and sorry if I’m dense (also, English is not my first language), is if it is going to be something more akin to, say, RPS (gaming news, this is coming out, reviews, etc), or to, say, what coverage of games the AV Club does, or mostly essays and discussions about the culture of games, or what.

Guess I have to wait for the launch to see. But again, thanks for the explanation and good luck with the site.

Also, point #2 is EXACTLY why I’m dropping The Escapist. If Offworld is going to cover more or less the same niche but with a better community and point of view, then is a perfect replacement for me.

1 Like

Mod note: Stay on topic

1 Like

Oh, it rather seemed you knew the focus of the site was likely to be disappointing, and wanted that to be known. Definitly an easy mistake to make, but you’re the expert.

And perhaps I misunderstood, since you seem to be continuing an different commenters conversation, and I assumed you were/are a puppet?

Not on a horse. On the high road, but throwing turds back at you. Easy mistake for you to make from that road, whichever one it is. If you would prefer, take that ‘hard’ comment as a rhetorical flourish. I can totally understand why you would not be able to stand people who use them.

And I said I enjoyed board games, not bored games. I hope you enjoy Offworld. Please consider asking more questions, with fewer assumptions, rather than stating facts or leading questions to be challenged? It helps discussion not turn into arguing.

I hate it when it’s me! Thank you.

1 Like

We are going to have ample opportunity to punch down, in the days that come.

Please refrain. Part of what allows us to so confidently head down this road is our trust in the Boing Boing bbs community.

1 Like

As a straight white cis male video gamer I am mostly disappointed in the kinds of video games writing that seems to emanate from people like me, and anticipate with enthusiasm more coverage by a group that includes non-striaghtwhitecismales.

It may end with me spending more money on games but even so.

Yay!

5 Likes

Last night, the dinner was made by me for my kids.

Now, the difference between dinner and “poopy poop in your eye hah hah hah!” seemed a thin one to my son, but I assure you, there was a difference.

The backstory? LEFTOVERS IN THE MICROWAVE.

It’s kinda hard to see at avatar-size, but it’s a unicorn and… well, he’s sort of impaled in an, er, sensitive spot. Best not to mention it. But it does make him cranky.

Unicorn is delicious. That’s a butchers chart. :wink:

You’re right here! Help make it!

2 Likes

I stand appropriately shamed for having spoken.

1 Like

4 Likes

oh stahp