Oh so soft and cuddly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/01/oh-so-soft-and-cuddly.html

3 Likes

This earworm has been burrowing into my brain for the last 40 years.

18 Likes

It was there when I woke up.

8 Likes

YES, I remember this commercial. Had a friend that lived in Japan for a bit and got a Monchichi and then I had to get my own. This is truly a blast from the past.

1 Like

Like a pop culture sleeper agent, the Monchichi lyrics all come back to me now. Apparently my brain has been busy storing them for decades which is probably why I can’t remember stuff like my kids’ names and my cell phone number.

10 Likes

Oh god, I hated those things.
Still do, actually.

5 Likes

I wonder why “each sold separately” is given at the end as a sort of fine-print caveat, as opposed, say, to something like: our manufacture, and your subsequent love and harbor, of this little doll will litter the earth for untold years to come!

1 Like

Curse you Weisberger. I’m not clicking on the link, because the tune is already in my head. I will be avenged…

8 Likes

Just when I thought I was free again…

3 Likes

I WAS TRYING TO FORGET IT! You’ve undone nearly 4 decade of work.

sobs

5 Likes

I went to grammar school with a girl named Chi. She hated these things. Adults suck at nicknames.

1 Like

Yep. I can still sing the goddamn song on command probably 35 years later…

ugh.

3 Likes

Keep them out of the light. They hate bright light. Especially sunlight - it’ll kill them. And keep them away from water. Don’t get them wet. But the most important rule, the rule you can never forget - no matter how much they cry, or how much they beg, never, never feed them after midnight.

5 Likes

My cousin once flushed her monchichi down the toilet at my grandmother’s house. We called the neighbor, who was a plumber, to unclog the toilet. As he’s doing so, the face of the monchichi appeared coming out of the toilet… man if his face didn’t turn white at the sight of that!

5 Likes

I’d like to add my voice to the others with terminal earworm disease known as Monchichinosis.
My solution over the years has been to add cursing and violent lyrics to the song. Can’t demonstrate though, I gotta get out of here before it happens again!!

2 Likes

Have never heard of these dolls. Where were they popular?

2 Likes

I thought I knew something about toys.

I’ve never even heard of these. Yet I lived in the 80s. In Japan in the 80s, even.

1 Like

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.