The 'BJ and the Bear' theme is stuck in my head

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/26/the-bj-and-the-bear-theme.html

2 Likes

My sympathies. And no I am not clicking that I blissfully do not remember that theme.

ETA

Sadly that one I do remember… and thanks for the earworm I think. :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

Hi, @jlw

Allow me to help you ditch that theme. Try this:

You can… thank me later.

1 Like

be7ed1c5e9aa319d4067d242ab53f659b5276fc6f4503eda72e0c45ebc082156
Keep it there!

4 Likes

I do not remember this song, but I do remember having a stuffed gorilla I named “bear” in honor of the chimp from the show. Can’t much remember the show anytime I try the only thing that comes to mind is the movie Any which way but loose. I can only assume this was an attempt to cash in on that movie? Any desire to become a truck driver as a child left me when I learned that not all truck drivers had simian co-pilots.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Oh no you don’t!

1 Like

Man, that redneck-chic fad in the seventies was weird.

1 Like

I remember watching it as a kid, as it came out in 1978, after the CB craze and Smokey And The Bandit had already peaked, but even after listening to the song on the video I forgot it. It was a fully forgettable series, with a forgettable tune. But 1978 was all Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica and I was well on my way to becoming a nerd by then.

2 Likes

same, pretty much. but man that chorus to BJ and the Bear is embedded DEEP in my head.

As soon as I read the title of this post the words and music came out of some hidden archive in my brain in all of its glory. Don’t even have to click the link. Growing up in SoCal I know this showed up occasionally on the syndication rotation of some channel, but I forget which. KCAL I think, since KTLA had higher class shows like Love Boat and Fantasy Island.

1 Like

Haha! Was thinking about this several weeks ago! Haha, good stuff! :stuck_out_tongue:

Much prefer East Bound and Down from Smokey and the Bandit. Even Every Which Way But Loose is a better ear worm than BJ and the Bear imo.

1 Like

4 notes will not worm my ear. 6, however…

1 Like

(or 5, depending on octave)

1 Like

Pretty sure my sister and I watched this as kids, but I don’t remember the theme.

My current thought is where the monkey would crap if you were a trucker traveling full time? It’s unlikely you could take him into the truck stop. I guess you’d have to send him into the woods to do his duty?

Why don’t they ever bring back or remake good shows, like ‘BJ and the Bear?’ Now there’s a concept I can’t get enough of - a man and his monkey.

1 Like

Yup. There should be a trigger warning for TV earworms. It’s playing in my head as I type this. And my guess is KCOP for the re-runs.

I find Quincy Jones’ - ‘The Streetbeater’ (aka the ‘Sandford and Son’ theme song) to be very good at cleansing an earworm.

Here’s a fun remix version!

To be most effective though you really just need to beatbox it out yourself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.