Ohio redefines natural gas as "green energy" and makes it easier to drill in state parks

When we were kids my brother told me about a dream he had one night where he could see farts, they were green clouds/blobs floating around that you had to avoid.

So I guess there IS one type of “natural gas” that’s apparently green.

Tell your friends: Ohio’s governor is “pro-fart.”

7 Likes

I’ve been using a portable induction stove-top for the past 5 years. Much faster and more efficient than the electric coils and safer than gas. As long as your cookware is compatible, I recommend going induction.

2 Likes

I’ve had some bad experiences with a cheap one a long time ago but haven’t tried the latest, greatest versions on the market today. How even is the heat distribution if you’re using a larger pot or pan? And will it heat the vertical edges of a pan, or only the bottom portion that’s directly over the induction coils?

1 Like

That really depends on the cookware. Only the bottom, which is touching the surface, will heat up. I use All-Clad brand cookware, which has heat conducting on all sides, so I don’t worry too much heat distribution.

2 Likes

Both things are true, I’d guess. It is called that because it occurs in the ground with no processing required, but it’s also true that they didn’t choose to call it Ground Methane or something like that which would be accurate and more descriptive (NG is 80% methane with a little ethane and propane in there as well).

Because it’s called “natural gas”, I’d wager almost none of the lay public realize that it’s methane (which most people now do recognize as one of the worst climate-change-causing gasses). It’s a Slimehead vs Orange Roughy situation. Plausible deniability means a lot for consumer choice.

Sadly they do. They’re often installed in basement suites and such. They’re also still used in downdraft cooking ranges, for (ironically) fancy designer kitchens that don’t want an overhead hood. They are terrible and don’t work at all.

I’m with you that electric stoves are a bummer, but we will all have to get used to them soon.

8 Likes

It was a big marketing push in the UK in the 1960s when the switch from ‘town gas’ was made to ‘natural gas’ from the North Sea. Lots of mentions that it was more efficient, burned hotter and most of all was non-toxic. Bizarrely, one of the other phrases used over here in the 1960s was ‘high speed gas’, but surprisingly not ‘groovy gas’.

4 Likes

I think too many also only have “range hood” in that they’re a fan over the range. Ours vents inside, which doesn’t help all that much.

4 Likes

“… gas stoves aren’t great for the environment, either: They emit so much methane each year that one study found those emissions were the greenhouse gas equivalent of 500,000 gas-powered cars. More than three-quarters of those emissions happened when the stove wasn’t even in use.”

12 Likes

What issues?

Other than having to up the electrical outlet it’s plugged into, and some pots & pans not working because they’re the wrong type of metal, I can’t think of any.

4 Likes

Well, not that they’re necessarily deal-killers but there are some real drawbacks:

1. They only heat the flat bottom surface of the pot or pan, so heat distribution is not the same as gas. I seriously doubt it would work well when stir-frying with a rounded wok, or any similar type of cooking where the sides of the pan need to heat up for the type of cooking being done. Any cooking techniques that involve lifting and shaking the pan over the heat definitely won’t work the same.

2. Most induction ranges have glass tops that can be scratched, chipped, or otherwise damaged when, for example, your kids aren’t careful enough with the heavy cast-iron pans. (And my kids are never careful.)

3. Many don’t have clear and easily understood visual cues so that you intuitively know what the power level is. (Although I understand that some newer ones make use of animated flames and such so this is probably getting better)

4. Can’t toast your tortillas directly in the flame.

7 Likes

Supposedly, there have been issues with pace-makers. And some, like my portable one, is loud because of the cooling fan.

1 Like

There is a Chinese cooking YouTube channel that periodically gets recommended to me. Their solution was a portable gas burner in conjunction with the electric cook top.

3 Likes

They definitely do, unfortunately.

1 Like

Now you’re cooking with NOS

10 Likes

Not any pacemakers made in the last 25 years (max battery life of a modern pacemaker is 10-12 years).

3 Likes

Ohio DID try and define pi as 3.2 about 100 years ago.
Difference is, THAT was voted down.

4 Likes

Or a cuddly vibe…

West Virginians think one can be friends with rocks. :man_shrugging: They will fall on you and crush you like a bug.

4 Likes

well that’s irrational.

7 Likes

Looks perfectly rational to me.

/drum roll gif here

4 Likes

Turning up the gas to heat the sides of rounded pans (like woks) is extremely energy inefficient. Also, most home cooktops can’t actually heat a pan to the temperature where that distinction would matter. In fact, a cast iron or carbon steel pan will heat up along the sides better with a good induction burner because it can fire up to a much higher BTU much more quickly.

Fortunately, you can use lighter stainless steel or even GraniteWare pots with young ones around!

Yes, there are definitely huge differences in how induction cooktops show what they’'re doing. My last one, I hated a lot of those details, although they were overshadowed (in my opinion) by how quickly I could bring pasta water to a boil or saute/pan fry some protein and also how evenly I could simmer stews and risotto.

Ya got me there! Definitely, toasting on a cast iron griddle isn’t the same thing.

6 Likes