Ohio redefines natural gas as "green energy" and makes it easier to drill in state parks

Do what i did and move to a home with no municipal gas supply and no propane tank already installed. Then proceed to procrastinate on a total kitchen remodel!!
We’ve been here two years, and it’s… fine :tired_face:
When we do eventually remodel, i want to install modular cooktops with a mix of induction and propane. But these modular setups are pricey…

ETA: I see you already touched on this in a later comment “Maybe the best answer for me is one of the dual-fuel options”. (Guess I’m a little late to the conversation) but yeah, modular setups are expensive. I would LOVE to have a propane wok modual.

2 Likes

There’s also something to be said for being able to cook during a prolonged power outage. When we had our big ice atorm last winter, my parents were able to heat their house by heating up water on the gas stove and then move it where they needed heat.

No small consideration -they were without power for 9 days.

4 Likes

Hence the need for good storage batteries in homes.

4 Likes

and that is a deal breaker anyday!
(indoor s’mores with the kids come to mind, too!)

3 Likes

I understand that for some people having to give up cooking with woks and cast iron pans is not a big deal. In my house it would be.

Anyway, the total energy consumption in my home, both gas and electric, is quite low so I’m not going to stress about the fact that cooking with a wok will lead to a slightly higher carbon footprint than cooking with an induction range would.

1 Like

Given the choice between a quiet pacemaker and a portable pacemaker I would definitely choose the latter.

8 Likes

Recently,

Dude. We’re a mixed-Asian household. You’ll pry our woks and our rice cookers out of our cold, dead hands.

The MUCH higher heat provided by induction has been a game-changer. That’s how you get cast iron to heat up properly.

10 Likes

The labelling isn’t a ‘little bit Orwellian’… it’s a damned lie!
Gaw-dammit, call it what it is, instead of pussy-footing around & being terrified of hurting the feelings of some jackass Snowflake politician.
Grrrrr…

Texas has entered the chat…

Gas is instant & easier controlled. I would go mad if I had to go back to only using electricity for cooking. I recently got an air-fryer, & it hss been a revelation, but as @Otherbrother has mentioned, electric burners are a non-starter for some techniques.

Or blacken chilies, tomatoes, etc.

3 Likes

Fun fact: even the first pacemaker was technically portable; it was configured as a backpack, though at well over 50 lbs, it would have been quite a load.

5 Likes

Thanks for this - I indeed had not realized that. I’d assumed it was a more complex hydrocarbon.

3 Likes

I knew he had to be a Republican. They love redefining reality.

1 Like

it’s a mixture. Vast majority is methane, some is ethane. It varies by source. They add mercaptan to make it smell.

Screenshot 72

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271133508_Methods_for_sweetening_natural_and_shale_gas

3 Likes

Seems to me I just said that.

3 Likes

Or wood stoves. Most homes in Canada have a backup heat source, and mostly they are gas fireplaces (with pilot, not igniter so they will work without power) or a wood stove. Going even a day without power is often not an option when it’s cold enough because the pipes will freeze.

I can see a world where natural gas is gone for everything except backup fireplaces. It’s not a common use case (most people go a decade without using it because the utilities here are very reliable) so the carbon footprint of it is negligible. That’s a lot easier and more economical than getting a huge battery in everyone’s house that can make heat for days on end.

3 Likes

Huh? I’ve never owned a gas range, but I had always thought the igniter is just a piezo element, which would be independent of mains electricity

Modern gas fireplaces are often remote controlled and require power, as do pilot-free gas furnaces with igniters. I wasn’t talking about stoves. It’s irrelevant for a stove because you can light it with a match if needed.

3 Likes

But when I raised the issue of potential damage to the glass induction cook top from careless users your suggestion was to use lighter pans rather than cast iron. So is dropping them on an induction range going to damage them or not?

Good to hear that your family can still use woks but you explicitly said that the sides don’t heat up and I know you can’t hold it above the heat and toss it while cooking so I’m curious how that all works out for you.

Ah, I see

Solution: have a portable propane camp stove handy for power outages and/or flame-specific cooking reasons (tomagoyaki is our reason), and…problem solved. It’s not a single-use appliance, and it stores vertically very easily.

5 Likes