Ohio redefines natural gas as "green energy" and makes it easier to drill in state parks

Oh boy, you got me thinking of a wacky (as in bad) idea of trying to develop a curved induction cooking element and see what kinds of antenna designs I could use (insert SCIENCE sound clip here).

Fire Oops GIF

Edit: it looks like there’s several models with curved surfaces but no idea if the actual inductor is curved or just a series of smaller inductors placed around it. Still, I might buy two to just take one apart and another to actually use.

5 Likes

3, 2, 1…

5 Likes

Exactly this.

And if you have trouble with the sometimes flaky and often bulky this thing:

Try this thing… it clogs less often, it screws directly on the propane bottle and takes up less space when stowed:

4 Likes

This. My house has gas heat but it doesn’t work if the power is out, for several reasons.

4 Likes

Did not know this requirement about gas furnaces. Yikes!

I thought anyone who had one as part of their HVAC system was in the clear during the Texas Freedom Grid crash bs. Now I learn that, really, one does actually need electrical power for oh so many reasons even if one has natural gas appliances/furnace etc.

Damn.

4 Likes

The ignition (pilot light) is independent of electricity (important for safety) but it has interlocks that prevent the gas from flowing to the main burners unless the blower fans are on. Which makes sense, as without the blower, the gas won’t do anything to heat the house and could crack the ceramic heat exchanger. Then there’s the thermostat, which requires electricity.

6 Likes

Same here. It’s always a little frustrating when the power goes out and I remember that. “Ohhhh, right, no igniter and no fan” I think to myself.

Then I dig out the book for how to run the wood stove again. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Oh, I see. You listed 4 issues, so I addressed them in order. You want me to work off of a very specific scenario including all the issues at once:

A household with children tall enough to be able to reach a wok on the stove and pick it up and drop it again, but not so tall that they’re old enough to function responsibly in a kitchen, and all the pans must be of the heaviest possible material, and the glass surface must be of the weakest glass possible (induction glass is normally more durable than regular electric stove glass), and they need to use a wok large enough to cook for a family but also magically a non-commercial gas cooktop which can somehow heat up the sides better (as opposed to the heat mostly dissipating into the air, which is what happens with any pan on a gas stove, but is even worse when the pan is curved like a wok) than a much more powerful induction burner that sends higher heat directly into the bottom of a cast iron or carbon steel wok (which then spreads the heat upward through the metal)…oh, and tortillas.

I’ve dropped cast iron, including a covered dutch oven (more than once) on my induction cooktop, and there are no scratches or cracks. It’s quite durable, actually. Anything can be broken in a household due to accident or user error, but induction surfaces are decently rugged.

The reason some woks are rounded at the bottom is because the norm used to be (and still is, in some places) cooking over an open fire. With a rounded bottom to match the open round hole, pans of varying widths can be used and they stay stable. Wine and oil bottles used to come to a point at the bottom because they would be stood in sand…but nowadays we have changed the shape of all sorts of cooking items to match our current lifestyles. So now, it’s possible to find woks with flat bottoms. Not the cheap aluminum ones, but cast iron or carbon steel woks offer that modernization.

I explicitly said that the sides DO heat up because cast iron and carbon steel are conductive of heat. And with higher heat to begin with, everything gets hotter faster than with a non-commercial gas stove.

I guess there are images of people picking a wok up off the heat to toss the food, as if it were a crepe pan, but that’s not really how wok cooking works. Maybe something done for show, for tourists?

You know, going back and rereading my answers to your original points has made me realize that I’ve already answered everything before. This is just a repeat. If you don’t like induction, and you’re not legally required to change your cooktop, then have fun carrying on as you always have. But gas burners are very inefficient, release methane into your home, and aren’t as well shaped to cook on as either a wood stove or an induction cooktop, so it’s simply a preference, not the confirmed best option. Even for wok cooking.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s possible to buy a cooktop with the curved surface in place, or buy a stand-alone version (just as one would buy an InstantPot or air fryer). Seems like a good solution.

4 Likes

Ok. You could have just led with that answer instead of suggesting that I abandon my favorite, most-used cookware.

I mean, there are perks to gas ranges for people who cook a lot. The ability control the pan heat is way better on a gas stove. There is a reason most restaurants use them. But they also have those big hoods.

And they are a little bit safer in that when you turn them off, they are off and you don’t have a glowing red coil slowly cooling down, but will still be hot when it returns to normal colors. I am sure most of us have melted something at some point or another, setting it on a burner we didn’t realize was still hot.

I don’t know if there is any perks to the oven part being gas.

At any rate - we should be updating the housing codes to make sure the gas is vented. Just like we do for the water heater or furnace.

Yeah, that’s basically vent theater. :confused:

2 Likes

Controlling pan heat is better with gas than the old versions of electric, definitely, but not better than induction. Induction is immediate, consistent in output, and you’re not dealing with the cast iron grates holding lingering heat when you turn down from sizzle to simmer.

Again, you’re thinking of the older versions of electric stoves. You can put your hand on the ‘burner’ of an induction stove less than a minute after removing the pan. Even if you forget to turn off the burner, once there’s no pan making the magnetic connection, the cooktop turns off the burner automatically. And the glass never gets as hot as gas grates do.

Even people who swear by gas cooktops acknowledge that gas ovens have an even worse problem with consistent temperature. Most medium- to high-end kitchens in the States these days have gas cooktops and electric ovens as a result.

7 Likes

Depends on what you plan on using it for. (I’m thinking of a rather intense scene from the Alfred Hitchcock movie Torn Curtain where the protagonist has an issue with his Stasi minder.)

2 Likes

Yeah I have no experience with induction stoves. I have only used the coil electric stoves, and I think I have used a gas stove before at someone elses house.

Are they more expensive that the coil electric ones?

Makes sense.

Oh, yes! That is a problem, no question. There’s just not enough market for them in the States yet, so only the higher-end brands offer them.

But you can try it out by getting a single portable burner (or a double) and seeing if you like it. A lot of the YouTube food videos are done using the counter-top single burners, actually. They’re reasonably priced.

Which was a suggestion in this article:

7 Likes

Induction cooktops are comparable to gas cooktops, once installation is factored in.

2 Likes

That’s probably the case for new construction, but maybe not true for existing homes that already have gas plumbed to the kitchen but not the higher-power electrical circuits necessary for an induction range.

Do you need 240 or 120 for induction? I’ve got gas, but there is a regular 120 to support the appliance. The current stove is plugged into it for clock and ignition.

You definitely need to upgrade the electrical for an induction cooktop.

Gas and older electric cooktops need a 30 - 40 amp circuit, but induction cooktops (except for one smaller model, apparently) need a 40-50 amp circuit.

But that’s an easy improvement for an electrician to make.

5 Likes

I just did this comparison 18 months ago. Comparing apples to apples, with a kitchen already plumbed for gas and with a 40 amp circuit, the installation for the gas one leveled the playing field. The installation for the induction cook top was: plug in. :rofl:

3 Likes