Oil and tobacco lobbyist blames Trans-Atlantic slave trade on wind

Tobacco … fossil fuels … Cato… Why hasn’t Steve Milloy already been awarded the International Order of the Scumbag by Putin for his life’s work?

12 Likes

Because of the prevailing wind patterns, ships sailed from Europe to Africa and then to the west Indies. A good many ships bought guns in Europe, traded the guns to enslavers in Africa, took captives to the west indies for rum, and brought the rum back to Europe.

3 Likes

You beat me to it.

17 Likes

The same wind could have brought nobles from Europe, but you’d never get them to do any work.

17 Likes

He’s representing people who are led by the nose by greed to do horrible things. If it is marginally more profitable to do evil, evil will prosper.

100 years ago, they would be harvesting opium to pay for tea,
200 years ago they would be enslaving people.

And very recently they were getting rich off of cancer sticks.

12 Likes

I mean it’s right there!

3 Likes

If I didn’t need my computer, I would’ve pressed the button after reading this…

Angry Star Trek GIF

smh

17 Likes
6 Likes
14 Likes

I blame water.

17 Likes

That’s true. Many people forget that sailing doesn’t work without the water, or at least some substance that provides asymmetrical resistance to the force of wind.

14 Likes

So, ignoring the madness that is the first point entirely, clean energy is a disaster compared to what? Oil? What exactly has clean energy done that compares to the literal disasters of global warming and oil spills? It’s almost as absurd as point number one.

16 Likes

So what you’re saying is that TFG is exactly the guy Peter Griffin’s tobacco lobbyist character in “Mr. Griffin Goes to Washington” was based on.

Imagine going through life being such an obvious dumb shit that Family Guy personally mocks you with their ultimate in stupid, self-absorbed characters.

5 Likes
10 Likes

Only this version exists for me:

10 Likes

Don’t let this be a barrier between us. :worried:

8 Likes

Wikipedia has the usual article on

Interestingly,

The triangle route was not generally followed by individual ships. Slave ships were built to carry large numbers of people, rather than cargo, and variations in the duration of the Atlantic crossing meant that they often arrived in the Americas out-of-season. Slave ships thus often returned to their home port carrying whatever goods were readily available in the Americas but with a large part or all of their capacity with ballast.[15][16]Cash crops were transported mainly by a separate fleet which only sailed from Europe to the Americas and back.[17] In his books, Herbert S. Klein has argued that in many fields (cost of trade, ways of transport, mortality levels, earnings and benefits of trade for the Europeans and the “so-called triangular trade”), the non-scientific literature portrays a situation which the contemporary historiography refuted a long time ago.[

so two things come to mind.

The lobbyist is arguing from incomplete and amateur historiographies-- just so stories buttressing the fragile power structures of the establishment.

The lobbyist is arguing from the perspective of capital-- people who intentionally blind themselves to the dirty details as long as it makes them money.

6 Likes

There’s an even bigger miss here: The very wind currents he’s blaming are themselves created by the uneven heating of the Earth’s surface by the sun as the earth rotates on its axis. It’s all ultimately blamable on the sun.

11 Likes

Intellectual bankruptcy is the basic job requirement for these industry “research/spokesperson” monsters.

9 Likes

They’re playing to their audience.

10 Likes