Oil company blames Captain Planet for climate change in recent court filing

Originally published at: Oil company blames Captain Planet for climate change in recent court filing | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Interesting post but I’m not following the title choice - that’s not the context at all.

They’re saying that people would have known about climate change due to captain planet, not that it was caused by it.

8 Likes

So the argument boils down to “we can’t be held liable for lying about the risks to the climate from burning our fossil fuels because others were telling the truth about it.” Okie-dokie, then…

30 Likes

Weird precedent. So if someone publically says we should NOT round up the oil execs, staple them to the cadavers of oil slicked birds and leave them adrift on melting ice floes in the arctic, then it’s no harm no foul if some of us say we should.

8 Likes

They COMICALLY quote flawed studies from the early 20th century BUT fail to mention the most IMPORTANT study that connected all the dots and reliably predicted the future of green house gases: The Limits to Growth - Wikipedia

5 Likes

Incompetence is a surprisingly frequent defense used by corporations trying to fight the consequences of their actions. “Yes, we did that but we did a bad job at it so no harm, no foul”!

Which is great since the rest of the time they are telling us what geniuses they are.

4 Likes

Well, if Captain Planet had done a better job, we would not be where we are today /s

So who is the lawyer who wrote this? Nathan Thurm?

9 Likes

I hate capitalism.

8 Likes

The filing is utter BS, but the compendium of climate change references is very interesting. I hope some awesome Highschool teacher makes use of it, having the students use it to learn about the understanding and dissemination of science over the long term, beyond the so-common “this one study says coffee is bad,” that we see so much in everyday media.

9 Likes

“I believe that nicotine is not addictive.”

https://senate.ucsf.edu/tobacco-ceo-statement-to-congress

5 Likes

Is there a handy-dandy search engine for these things now…? I reckon it wouldn’t be so difficult to make a mass aggregation of data scraped from subtitle websites, but I suppose that’s not publicly available? Maybe it’s sitting somewhere on a secret legal server that only select law firms know about?

(For a second there I did envision some pathetic intern tasked with watching thousands of hours of 80’s TV on triple-speed for a week straight at the behest of superiors who suggested that it might provide a means of getting a job application a teensy bit closer to the top of the pile. But we might be a teensy bit past that.)

1 Like

Oh, but think of the billable hours.

5 Likes

I seem to recall there is documented evidence that this narrative is quite true (and I think I read about it here on BBS), though I don’t have the free cycles to search for it at the moment.

1 Like

I think it was this information:

9 Likes

That was it, thanks!

2 Likes

Considering ther references, I wonder how the Roxxon Energy Corporation fits in.

2 Likes

@thomdunn thought the inaccurate clickbait title would have been corrected by now?

1 Like

Both one and the other.

Lies You Are Lame GIF

So, they are acknowledging climate change is real, caused by abuse/misuse of fossile fuel, but yet they can’t be blamed?

3 Likes