Steven Donziger proved oil company Chevron dumped billions of tons of toxic waste. But he's the one going to jail

Originally published at: Steven Donziger proved oil company Chevron dumped billions of tons of toxic waste. But he's the one going to jail. | Boing Boing

14 Likes

The system continues to work as designed. :cry:

32 Likes

I sometimes picture a conference of fossil-fuel industry executives unanimously approving the simple proposal: “Yep, we’re going to out-evil the tobacco industry”.

29 Likes

Oily Fucker, “Pah, them tobacco dicks are small-time! They kill people bespoke; we do it wholesale.”

17 Likes

12 Likes

This is fucking enraging.

16 Likes

Isn’t it funny how some sorts of people get to ‘thumb their noses’ at the same U.S. judicial system, blatantly and on record, with never a piper to pay?

No. Not funny at all, actually.

24 Likes
16 Likes

The spill, first reported Saturday, originated from a pipeline off the coast of Huntington Beach connected to an offshore oil platform known as Elly. The failure caused at least 126,000 gallons of crude to spill into coastal waters creating a slick that spanned about 8,320 acres— larger than the size of Santa Monica—and sent oil to the shores of Newport Beach and Huntington Beach early Sunday.

11 Likes

Man, it just seems like sometimes you can’t make meaningful changes to the system from within the system…

6 Likes

Legal Eagle’s video on this subject is quite helpful in understanding some of the legalistic aspects of this story: Did Chevron Imprison Environmental Lawyer Steve Donziger - YouTube

4 Likes

The Bloomberg article fails to mention that the DA refused to prosecute Donziger on any of these charges, so the judge hired a private law firm to do so…who also happened to work for Chevron. Meanwhile the key witness to the racketeering charges recanted his testimony and admitted he had been bribed by…Chevron again.

An abject lesson in who the system protects and whom it binds with law.

20 Likes

A good illustration of the difference between law and justice.

Can’t we just declare Chevron a terrorist organisation and drone their HQ?

5 Likes

Of course one could never condone the actions of rogue environmentalists who say fuck the law and kill the executives that create these disasters. But perhaps one could understand what motivates them. One could maybe enjoy the thought of greedy bastards living in fear of their actions. Of course one would be horrified to hear of one of these destroyers of the jungle being found with a poison dart stuck in his neck. And if several of these violators were found dead from their own deeds, perhaps shoved head first in a bucket of the toxins they dump, maybe others would become more circumspect. I know, childish and unrealistic to think of such things.

7 Likes

“They” say oil executives are diabolical demons who only masquerade as normal people so the rest of us can feel good about our complicity in the destruction of planet Earth as we know it.

Vile corruption - these judges and law firms should all be punished for this.

3 Likes

When judicial approaches cease to function, extrajudicial action is the only avenue remaining.

This perception is why it is so important that the judiciary work fairly, transparently, and without external influence. Having the court hire a private law firm… who also happens to work for the opposing party (Chevron)… to prosecute the case for behalf of a supposedly impartial court is all kinds of wrong and why it feels like extrajudicial action is needed to achieve actual justice.

6 Likes

I don’t know the legal ins and outs of these things, but surely that amounts to egregious malpractice?

2 Likes

If there actually existed justice, these kinds of judges would be executed for the lives they ruin.

2 Likes

Is that mumbo jumbo talk for physical violence to the perpetrators? Taking up justice and all that? I just want to understand what people are suggesting.

If so, I’d rather say that Biden can pardon this man, and sic the DOJ on all the players here. I know it will never happen, so are you suggesting that Biden and company are part of the perpetrators?