Oil paintings show how people who wear glasses see the world without them

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/16/oil-paintings-show-how-people.html

11 Likes

Nailed it

26 Likes

At least for those of us who are myopic, he so nailed it

25 Likes

Well done! Looking at these makes me want to put on my glasses.

15 Likes

Yes, although the blurriness does not appear to increase with the distance, but that might be because there isn’t really anything in the foreground.

6 Likes

[takes glasses off and scrutinizes oil paintings]

That’s not how it looks at all!

12 Likes

That hurt my eyes to see x.x

3 Likes
  1. It looks more like photos put through a blur filter and then painted.

2. I am blind as fuck with out glasses. Astigmatism up the yin yang (thanks, mom). I don’t have nearly the same amount of glints and light effects, which is where these paintings fail. BUT the blurriness is close, so good effort.

9 Likes

Uhh…
Those look a lot more like aperture-induced bokeh, not what the human eye does when out of focus or astigmatized - both of which I suffer from without my glasses on.

Interesting… we are looking at pictures of paintings of pictures

6 Likes

For me, I don’t really get blurry transparent edges with opaque interiors like the paintings, but the blurriness and “transparency” go through the whole of the object. Small objects don’t disappear in a haze - they exist, just without any form. And point lights don’t just appear as blurry point lights. For me they are multiple separate blurry points, their number increasing the more I open my eyes.

3 Likes

Accurate.

3 Likes

I didn’t know the rest of the world was dying to find out what I see every day just after I wake up.

Of course, I don’t go to sleep at the ocean or in the middle of traffic in the city, but, whatever.

8 Likes

Yeah, or like they’re based on blurry photographs - either way, it also seems to me there are definitely camera artifacts in there.

Yeah, I was trying to be charitable and wonder if there was an eye condition that replicated bokeh effects, but Occam’s Razor and all… It’s common to do paintings that use photographs as reference, but to try to pretend they represent human vision, when they don’t, is weird.

1 Like

Well, it’s close enough to what I see without my glasses, so it’s cool to me.

6 Likes

qualitaet
“So, you’re the Myopic Mouldini Boys from Chicago, eh?”

3 Likes

Well, it’s blurry, that’s true. But “blurry image” especially “blurry photographic image” doesn’t equal “what people who wear glasses see without their glasses.”

1 Like

As a man with coke bottles hanging from his face these are pretty spot on. I could quibble of details, but the main point is captured: everything is just a bunch of fuzzy blobs.

6 Likes

9 Likes

https://healthfinder.gov/HealthTopics/Category/doctor-visits/screening-tests/get-your-childs-vision-checked#take-action_2

Oh come on, how many of us don’t already know what this looks like.

4 Likes