Oklahoma Republicans introduce bill forcing doctors to warn abortion patients about the existence of an imaginary "reversible abortion"

and that’s only the beginning.

3 Likes

I think the goal is simply to inflict maximal psychological damage to women and hopefully emotionally traumatize them in order to bolster the claim that abortion is inherently psychologically traumatic and should be outlawed on grounds that it drives women crazy.

13 Likes

I think you’re probably right. Also, can the AMA yank a medical license from a doc they know is willingly lying to a patient?

1 Like

Which is why medical professional organizations (and AMA) are usually the first ones to jump in and sue the state’s that pull crap like this.

1 Like

Yes, it is a basic form of malpractice and a pretty big violation of medical professional ethics.

1 Like

Consider how many docs support antivaxx positions and maintain their license to practice. Nope, that is not gonna happen.

3 Likes

On the other hand, judges tend to approve of people following the law, but it could definitely get messy. Fortunately, as others have pointed out, nothing prevents doctors from pointing out it’s just a legal requirement to claim the procedure is reversible while this, as far as they can tell, is complete bullshit.

Perhaps Oklahoma Republicans know something about the Koch brothers plan to develop a real zombie virus that the rest of us are unaware of as yet?

2 Likes

I am thinking that this “conversation” could be distilled into waiting area literature such as a Jeopardy parody with topic headings as:

• Fanciful Fallacies
  • Governmental Lies
  • Medical Dogma
  • I need to do what?
  • Subversion of your rights
  • Religious Lies

As long as the doctor and patient can have a good laugh at these questions, mission accomplished.

If Jeopardy is the dominant religion and is not to be trifled with, a version of Bullshit Bingo can be substituted.

1 Like

GOP: Abortion is murder!!!

Also GOP: Abortion is reversible!!!

10 Likes

I can see that fitting into the Xtianists’ “logic”, although another murder followed by another reverse coming after an indeterminate but very long time might be required to complete the cycle.

2 Likes

Person heavily concerned about free speech here: this is a terrible farce.

1 Like

Nice story, although I’m going to be very careful not to stand too close to women at social events.
Tell us the one about flat earth where there’s a wall (no, Mr Trump!) around the edge so the seas don’t drain away.

Well, Jesus was murdered, eh? And he came back to life, right?
But perhaps this law would only apply to women seeking abortions after immaculate conceptions. I dunno.

3 Likes

I lived in Oklahoma for 2 years, and let’s just say I’ve seen enough of the health system there to know this is par for the course. They are living in the 1900s.

There is intelligent life there but there are so many armed to the teeth completely vacant hollow meat shells walking around that this is what I expect.

I can’t believe people are allowed to even make laws demanding doctors outright lie. I would say all of these politicians need to be marched off a cliff, but there are aren’t many hills there, so the stupid has nowhere to roll away to and just settles in.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a manga of this…

That’s because of what this picture implies.

They don’t care. It’s about making things difficult for women. A discarded embryo only means something to them if it would be good adoption material for Christian couples.

1 Like

“Yes, we can take it out and put it back in the cabbage patch for a while. It’s a medical fairy-tale, er, miracle!”

1 Like

Roger that! Holy hell. In our timeline, you can’t force me to ice a wedding cake for Ted and Earl, but you can force a medical professional to spew this shit at women.

11 Likes