Oklahoma teachers walk out, sensing weakness from GOP legislators who caved on taxing the oil industry

I don’t think it can be done, unless someone invents a time machine that can look into the future. We have no idea what skills are going to be needed when today’s students have joined the work force.

2 Likes

Though my kids are smack in the middle of their public education tenure, I have always voted in favor of giving more funding to education. I’ll continue this tradition even after kids are grown and gone.

I have co-workers that are my neighbors, and when a bond measure shows up on the ballot, they vote against it because they have no kids and don’t plan on getting kids (and they are now too old to make any babies). Such measures in my neighborhood seem to always pass with about 70% in favor, so when it comes up, I just smile and tell them, Thanks anyway, since the schools will still be getting their money. :wink:
But seriously, something like seventy bucks a year, they more than don’t even feel it.

4 Likes

It’s great that the oil industry is finally going to start paying more taxes but in the long term it creates some bad situations when we tie education funding to industries we’d probably be better off without (see also: school funding tied to state lotteries and cigarette taxes).

7 Likes

Wait, really? Can you provide a source? Not that I don’t believe you, I just want to know more (CO resident as well).

Seems like a great potential referendum, constitutional amendment to prevent the legislators from reducing school funding after a referendum to raise it.

2 Likes

Does any one know how many of Oklahoma students are being accepted by out of state colleges since they switch to a 4 day school week?
I suspect that there been a drop, but I like to know for sure.

2 Likes

Relax. As public education crumbles, private sector alternatives are picking up the slack…

7 Likes

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I’m not in CO, but rather another western state.

Though those shenanigans aren’t limited to education funding. We’ve seen it for parks, sustainable power generation, and salmon & steelhead recovery, too.

2 Likes

What is so difficult about figuring out how Colorado politicians are paying off their donors?

2 Likes

i’ve never seen anything good in paying for schools primarily through local property taxes. you get schools poor in resources in poor areas, and schools rich in resources in rich areas – which is exactly the opposite of how public funding should work.

in my opinion it seems bond measures raise property taxes to patch the problem that high income earners and companies aren’t paying as much as they should.

for landlords, most of the bond pricing gets pushed to the renters. for fixed-income or lower-income owners, there comes a point where people can’t afford their own homes anymore, can’t afford rent anymore, and have to move further afield.

at it’s worst, it breaks up the neighborhoods the measures were originally meant to serve.

it can take decades to happen, but it seems that’s exactly what’s occurred first with white flight to the suburbs, and now in their return to the cities.

6 Likes

This is the only place I’ve ever seen a discussion of Oklahoma teachers mention Jeremy Corbyn. Fascinating.

1 Like

Think globally…

3 Likes

Well, you know-- the vaguely leftish establishment in this country as been dropping the ball pretty consistently for a long time. Perhaps it’s time to look for alternative exemplars outside this country.

3 Likes

3 Likes

you know. that part of the establishment to the left of atilla the hun.

2 Likes

Oh right, thanks. I mean, left.

You’re always so helpful.

insert eyeroll gif that I can’t be bothered to find

2 Likes

Two skills are always valuable: how to learn and how to think for yourself.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.