Old Bay launched a hot sauce, it went viral, crashed website, sold out in 30 minutes

Mmmmm, like the Old Bay rim around the glass of Old Bay-infused Bloody Mary at a local brunch joint here in Baltimore… :smiley:

6 Likes

This is part of the problem. Some cooks think that if a little is good, a lot is better. With very strong spices, the opposite tends to be true. Crabs are good with a bit of Old Bay, or garlic seasoning, but you can’t taste the crab very well when there’s so much seasoning on the shell and your fingers that you can’t avoid eating too much of it.

Spices are supposed to enhance the flavor of meat and seafood, not cover it up so all you taste is spice. The only exception is when dealing with meat that has an unappetizing flavor from the outset. I’m really starting to wonder if the craze for hot sauces and peppers has a negative effect on taste buds. My father smokes, and he always uses extra seasoning on his food - otherwise he claims he can’t taste it.

6 Likes

This is the sort of open carry I can supportOpenCarry2

4 Likes

Makes me want to cross some Tabasco and Old Bay
agree that there is too much of a good thing wrt spices
I once put dry Skyline Chili mix on a chicken as a rub: awful

1 Like

Smoking in particular is a taste bud destroyer. My grandfather used to over-salt everything he ate because he was a heavy smoker for years.

2 Likes

Interesting that you brought up Franks.

This customer review from the Old Bay site:

“It has a familiar taste/hotness, very similar to (the big Louisian “T” brand) or maybe the XtraHot version of the big “F” brand (rhymes with tanks)

4 Likes

I’ve never had Old Bay on anything but buttered popcorn or Kraft Dinner. Very good on both, highly recommended. Might have learned about Old Bay here, FWIW

2 Likes

OK, I’ll ask… why do y’all turn blue?

1 Like

Q: What was H. Rider Haggard’s favorite kind of crab?
A: She, which must be Old Bayed.

4 Likes

spice

Ayesha what you did there.

3 Likes

That’s just what happens when you use too much spice.

5 Likes

I really like Orange Krush hot sauce, largely because it tastes like it has Old Bay in it. It’s Habanero based so I assume it would be hotter than this one. You can taste it at California Tortilla if you are interested.

Personally, I like Old Bay on hashbrowns…

2 Likes

Sold out in 30 minutes?
Last time I was at Grocery Outlet they had a few cases of the stuff out.

Which Grocery Outlet?!

It sold out in 30 minutes online. Although my local Wegman’s sold out in a few hours, but got a restock. I don’t think that they anticipated the online ruish.

Of course! Must be time to re-read Dune. :slight_smile:

West Sacramento, but it was like a month ago.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.