Old television repeatedly knocked out entire village's broadband for 18 months

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/22/old-television-repeatedly-knocked-out-entire-villages-broadband-for-18-months.html

9 Likes

That’s all you need to wipe out broadband in a village? They talk about changing cables, so was it actually interfering with cable broadband or is this just wireless “broadband”?

12 Likes

In the 70s there were some black and white TV sets that while receiving a channel, transmitted back some signal normally at the local oscillator frequency that disrupted other tv signals. Another culprit were some indoor amplified antennas that had the low-quality amplifier starting to selfoscillate.
They made the TV reception impossible for other tv sets of weaker signals.

11 Likes

broadband engineers combed the village with a spectrum analyzer

AKA a Cat Detector Van.

20 Likes

So a agent provocateur could knock out services during - say -elections in large areas with just a few people to hook up equipment?

Great.

7 Likes

That’s just what they want you to believe.

9 Likes

AKA a Cat Detector Van.

A loonie detector van, you mean

11 Likes

It’s people like you what cause unrest.

9 Likes

Yep. Tin foil hats all round, please.

5 Likes

What cat detector van?

8 Likes

The one from the Ministry of Housinge.

9 Likes

Housinge?

7 Likes

It was spelled like that on the van.

11 Likes

And yet, I cannot recall what I had for dinner last night.

4 Likes

In all fairness, dinner was probably routine, while this is an absolutely enduring classic.

3 Likes

Beats 17 years. The issue reminded me very much of this story:

17 Likes

It’s a fair cop.

3 Likes

Impressive.

1 Like

As a ham radio operator, I believe this. So much electronic equipment has little to no filtering, and some stuff really can obliterate large chunks of spectrum (looking at you, switch-mode power supplies). I haven’t been very active on the radio lately partly due to the high noise floor in my neighbourhood which makes it very hard to hear all but the strongest signals.

I’ve tried tracking down noise sources, but even if I do find a source, if the owner of said source is not cooperative there’s not much I can do other than report them to the regulator, which pretty much does nothing unless the interference affects a commercial broadcast or public safety service.

17 Likes

This sounds like the old TV set had a problem of arcing in its high voltage section (that provides ~25,000V to make the display bright by accelerating the electrons towards the phosphor screen). An arcing high voltage is essentially a spark gap transmitter, so it can wipe out all other weak radio signals in the vicinity ‘from DC to daylight’ as the RF engineers say.
The surprising thing is that it was powerful enough to kill all the broadband in a village, yet didn’t burn up the house.

12 Likes