Old television repeatedly knocked out entire village's broadband for 18 months

Emission

1 Like

Showing my age here but I don’t see how a plasma TV can be “ancient”.

6 Likes

I think they were made obsolete by OLED (and power concerns). But ancient?

1 Like

I’ll bet when they say broadband they mean WiFi. Most people are getting all their internet over wireless. It’s unlikely this interference would affect hard wired connections. The cables they talked about replacing were probably Ethernet between the modem and wireless AP.

3 Likes

DSL is carried over unshielded wires. Long unshielded wires are also antennas. It’s not like cable that’s carried over shielded wires and thus is much less vulnerable.

3 Likes

It’s good to have some more information about this case.
A plasma TV still has a high voltage power supply, because it makes plasma. It’s not as high voltage as a CRT, but enough to be interesting electrically.
The DSL network uses copper, but the copper that it uses (old phone lines) was designed for use up to 4 kHz for voice signals, not the ~1 MHz that DSL requires. The loosely twisted pairs are sloppy enough to allow RF in. So a DSL network is susceptible to radiated emission.
So the story makes sense.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Could it have been halibut? or haddock?

2 Likes

The sleeper agent’s cover has been compromised!

2 Likes

Yeah, when I had dialup, I found our electric fence was causing data hits. You could hear the one-second clicks on the phone line. Solution was to turn off the fence when the computer was on, and hope the horses didn’t notice.

2 Likes

Good hell what I wouldn’t give for one of these. It’s like a little electro-magnetic pulse generator to strike fear in your enemies, real and perceived, in the neighborhood.

2 Likes

This explains much about the origin of that “Turn off all electronic devices” rule on airlines.

1 Like

In case the ADSL keeps dropping, you could switch to another digital mode, albeit a much lower bitrate.
And cause much more ADSL disruption…

1 Like

Actual picture of this happening from the 70s.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.