Oldest known sentence ever written found on a comb meant to combat beard lice

Originally published at: Oldest known sentence ever written found on a comb meant to combat beard lice | Boing Boing

5 Likes

On the flip side of the comb: “Guaranteed CVS Brand! Check out our other fine personal care products”

20 Likes

11 Likes

I have a hand-made cedar wood comb that I purchased in Germany back in 82’, use it everyday, never need to buy another…

11 Likes

Correction: It is not “the oldest known sentence ever written” (as indicated on the Boing Boing article), it is “the oldest known sentence written in the earliest alphabet” (according to The Guardian); there’s a difference.

Here’s a list of oldest documents, many predate the one on the article in question:

12 Likes

Yes, I was going to say 1700 BCE didn’t seem that old for a written text, but the qualifier that this is the oldest written alphabetic sentence is pertinent. Syllabic writing, like cuneiform, goes back a lot further than alphabetic.

7 Likes

What, is this Fonzie’s comb? Aaay!

9 Likes

Humans were really parasite infested in olden days.

6 Likes

But not anymore; with the Remington Liceaway, you can wave goodbye to beard infestations!

Sennacherib, “I liked this product so much, I bought the company!”

8 Likes

It must have an interesting patina by now.

2 Likes

Not even close to the oldest written sentence, Folks.

1 Like

No, as RadioSilence pointed out just in an alphabet. It’s too bad it was left out of the description. Still a very interesting find though. Early times for Canaanites…a people who have the misfortune that so much of what we hear about them is filtered through hostile Hebrew, Greek, or Roman eyes instead of their own.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.