The oldest written record of "fuck" has been discovered — and it comes from a plague quarantine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/07/the-oldest-written-record-of.html

7 Likes

Before that word was invented most Scottish people communicated via punching.

25 Likes

ETA: stupid gif is stupid.

2 Likes

Good thing it was written. If somehow audio recording preceded written, we’d still be trying to decode what was said.

3 Likes

There’s a fourteenth century example, though the word is not standalone.

8 Likes

tumblr_p36dps7izR1w97wono2_500

14 Likes

“Stay indoors!”
“Fuck!”
“Och, nice word!”

7 Likes

Makes me proud of my ancestors

8 Likes

That’s just doric. Totally kennable if you live in Aberdeen

3 Likes

5 Likes

Sorry, but Roger Fuckedbythenavel predates this by a couple of hundred years.

6 Likes

ETA not in reply to @G_r_ld_z_n_r; hit the wrong button.

….Oh fuck.” Jimmy lies back, closes his eyes. “Oh fuck.” “Who is this Fuck?” says Abraham Lincoln. “Why is he talking to this Fuck? This is not the name of anyone here.

Maddaddam by Margaret Atwood

It won’t let me watch it b/c I’m not in the UK. Fuck!

I grew up in Carlisle and I understand it.

Then again, that’s close to the Debatable Lands and part of my family were a cadet clan of the Armstrongs who were based south of a border that they didn’t believe in.

1 Like

There’s also the 1528 manuscript with ''Fuckin Abbot" written in the margin.

And the line from a 1475 poem in a mixture of English and Latin - [Fratres Carmeli] non sunt in coeli quia fuccant uuivys of heli. [The Carmelite friars] are not in heaven, because they fuck the wives of Ely.

1 Like

Can totally understand how this happened. During our current plague, I find myself swearing too.

“ wanfukkit funling” apparently meant something like “ill-conceived foundling.” More analysis at https://prairieuprisingessays.blogspot.com/2013/12/on-wanfukkit-funling.html?m=1

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.