OMG We can't stop eating Trader Joe's Partially Popped Popcorn

Do people sensitive to MSG also avoid Parmesan Cheese, too? Given that it’s PACKED with naturally occurring MSG…

7 Likes

They aren’t like the ones in popcorn. They’re very easy to eat and really addictive. Love 'em.

Oh! Pregrated too?

1 Like

…and tomatoes and mushrooms and … http://www.msgfacts.com/nutrition/what_foods_are_glutamate-rich.aspx

5 Likes

Aren’t those pretty much the only places to get salt? The mined salt is plain old Morton’s™. The sea salt is the cool one, which costs from 10-100 times as much, but you can totally taste the difference I swear.

I suppose you could combust metallic Sodium in the presence of Chlorine gas, but that’s really going to expensive. Personally, I think we should repackage Morton’s as Chthonic Salt, from Deep Beneath Mother Earth. Should be worth several hundred an ounce that way.

4 Likes

Last I read, MSG was pretty much harmless, and not at all addictive. It’s basically just umami purified (I.e. meat flavor).

3 Likes

Why in Cthulhu’s name have I not tried this before? I need to go cook up a pound of bacon now to restock my bacon fat store so I can try this.

3 Likes

Giant Peruvian Inca Corn? This isn’t a new thing – at least, for Californians, we’ve had Corn Nuts since way way back. They seemed to have disappeared for a while, but they seem all the rage at little league games.

2 Likes

I have a quart of it in the fridge as we speak. I’m having trouble thinking of ways to use it. I already sear my steaks in it. Use it to roast veg mostly. And any time breakfast happens its cooked in the bacon fat. But a little goes a long way, and I seem to cook bacon more often then I deplete my stock.

1 Like

Mr. Fraunfelder has been doing such a great job promoting products from small local businesses such as Trader Joes. Kudos to him.

If I have a product I would like to see Mr. Fraunfelder include in the pages of his infoblogomercial, how much money does he require for his services?

2 Likes

Yes, they both come from the same place, but then things marked just “salt” are then refined further to remove the trace minerals.

Corn nuts were actually invented in Oakland, California in the 1930s.

1 Like

Unless you are rich enough to use the tears of orphans.

6 Likes

I think that partially popped corn is gross. In my opinion, TJ’s is selling garbage.

But then I have no problem with Whole Foods selling cheese rinds to people like me.

My spouse loves the partially popped popcorn. Perhaps there’s a genetic predisposition to liking stuff like this.

1 Like

Looks quite similar to korean popcorn with a flavour coating.
So the basic process is probably something like this:

1 Like

Giant Peruvian Inca Corn is a million times better than corn nuts. It’s like comparing champagne to wine coolers.

1 Like

According to their store finder I’m 154 miles from the closest “real grocer”.

I’m not saying there are not other real grocers, just that TJs is not. They are more of a specialty food store, specializing in snacks and TV dinners.

1 Like

Also from the tears of fanboys who have seen pix from the new Ghostbusters movie.

It seems like it’s not quite the same thing as what we find in the bottom of our bowls of home-made popcorn… I haven’t ever had this product myself, but I’m surprised no one has found and posted this explanation from Trader Joe’s website (unless I missed something upthread…) Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea for TJ’s to call it “partially popped popcorn”, because that seems to be giving a lot of people the idea that they already know what it is and that they wouldn’t like it. (I’m not for or against TJ’s or the product, here. Just was curious about the production process…)

http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/partially-popped-popcorn

Our supplier uses a proprietary method in which they first steam a special hybrid of so-called “mushroom” kernels (instead of the fluffier, “butterfly” variety enjoyed in theaters), before heating them in canola oil to a state of half popp-ed-ness.
The finished corn resembles those (accidentally) par-popped kernels found in the bottom of your popcorn bowl. But, unlike those kernels—which can be real jawbreakers—this Partially Poppedsnack has a blissful bite that exists somewhere between the extreme crunch of corn nuts and the tender chewiness of fresh, fully- popped corn.

1 Like