OMG We can't stop eating Trader Joe's Partially Popped Popcorn

There’s actually a LOT of partially popped corn in a 6 oz bag. They’re very small and light. It always takes me days, on my own, to eat the whole thing.

MSG is not the boogeyman if you are not sensitive to it. Just like peanuts are delicious to me, but for some people they are deadly.

I didn’t put in a reference, because… google, but here:

AFAIK, there is zero scientific evidence supporting the fact that anybody is actually allergic or sensitive to MSG. That’s obviously not the case with nut allergies. Please, if I’m ignorant of studies, let me know!

EDIT: Yes, I’ve read that wiki article and numerous other articles. Every one seems to say that there’s no scientific evidence but only anecdotal evidence. Frankly, it seems to me to be rooted in a fear of foreign food. I’m having trouble tracking down one article that I did read where it indicated that you could induce a definitive reaction in extreme quantities… the sort of quantities you’d never see in any prepared food… similar to just eating straight salt or cinnamon or whatever… I’m not trying to be difficult, only scientific! I’ll believe evidence if legitimate evidence is presented! :slight_smile:

I think pressure cooker popcorn still makes normal popcorn:

JK, I get that you meant that the pressure is not released violently. I just wanted an excuse to post that again.

The amount of glutimates in yer average mushroom would just shock SHOCK the natural foods crowd. I buy it by the pound and sprinkle it on me toast. (more seriously I mostly use it these days to keep sous vide foods from tasting flat)

1 Like

As @IanMcLoud says, there’s a lot of anecdotal evidence, from people who don’t rigorously keep track of what they eat, saying MSG can trigger headaches etc.

But whenever science puts MSG “under the microscope” all the deletrious effects vanish in a cloud of scientific method.

It’s like homeopathy, or acupuncture, or applied kinesiology. They seem effective and true, until you start recording observations and doing things like double-blind testing.

Turns out when you isolate MSG as an individual element in the system and control for bias, it turns out to be no more problematic than NaCl.

3 Likes

I use nutritional yeast as a substitute for Parmesan. It tastes roughly cheese-ish, which is what I like, and it has 0 fat and cholesterol, which is why I love it.

1 Like

My mom was doing that for a while. If you wanna cheat to pump up your glutimates/umami with zero calories just get a $2 can of accent. Nutritional yeast tastes “roughly cheese-ish” in the same way that Baccos taste “roughly bacony”, ie not at all except on a good day. The amount of calories, fat, and cholesterol that a slight sprinkling of parm brings to the table is minuscule. You’re talking about a fraction of an ounce (unless you’re me and then its like soooooooooo many ounces) of cheese used as a condiment. The whole concept is so alien to me. Cheese = bad so I’m gonna coat my food with brewery byproducts? And not the good ones?

To be perfectly honest the stuff tastes like a chalky version of straight MSG. Best case scenario it reminds me of the part of Hefeweizen that makes me fart real bad. IE if it tastes like anything it tastes like YEAST which is what it is. That can be good. Just not sprinkled on my sandwich. That said various yeast based things are crazy useful. Marmite/vegimite is a great umami bomb if you’re afraid to add the stuff straight. I also usually find that glutimate heavy foods bring a complexity that dumping the stuff right in can’t.

1 Like

& @LDoBe - I really like Nutritional Yeast, as its own thing, on stuff… mainly popcorn… also on pizza. It was an acquired taste for me, as an adult, but it only took a couple tries before I got hooked. Love it. I don’t consider it a substitute for something else at all…

1 Like

I eat a mostly cheese based diet, so it’s helpful for me to have an alternative that at least tastes somewhat cheese-ish.

I’m no good at cooking, I happen to really enjoy yeast and hummus, so that’s what I eat most of the time.

I’m a big proponent of dietary fungus. It’s efficient, has lots of nutrients, and with the correct setup cheaper than plants and livestock.

1 Like

Nowhere on there does it say that MSG is found in sea salt.

I’ve had a bag for about a week and I snack on it every day. A little goes a long way.

This is a true statement. I was eating those things last night like a madaman. So good.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.