Look what I made for lovers of Kewpie mayonnaise

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/17/look-what-i-made-for-lovers-of.html

6 Likes

has extra egg yolk and MSG in it

The extra egg yolk ain’t going to kill ya, but the MSG, that’s a mayonnaise of a different color.

2 Likes

Not all heroes wear capes.

7 Likes

What about MSG?

7 Likes

Look up the word “excitotoxin.”

2 Likes

https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+580

Deep dive and dry reading, but basically even with huge doses (5-12.5 grams) they were unable to elicit the symptoms attributed to MSG. Might be a few very sensitive people out there, and this is certainly not a necessary nutrient, so if it bothers you don’t eat it. But science says you are probably safe. (Yes, it is Mostly Harmless)

17 Likes

MSG is like gluten. A very small number of people react to it badly.

And then whooooole lot more people react badly to thinking it’s in the food even when it’s not actually in the food. Usually because they’ve had a bad reaction to something in the past and assumed it was the MSG.

9 Likes

MSG’s not going to kill you. That’s an old racist trope.

8 Likes

Excitotoxicity results when glutamate is applied directly to the central nervous system. It has been injected intravenously without I’ll effect. MSG occurs naturally in many foods, you even have taste receptors for it. For soy sauce to kill you you’d have to fall in a vat of it and drown.

Enjoy some MSG!

4 Likes

Excitotoxins are a class of chemicals (usually amino acids) that overstimulate neuron receptors. Neuron receptors allow brain cells to communicate with each other, but when they’re exposed to excitotoxins, they fire impulses at such a rapid rate that they become exhausted.

2 Likes

This 3d printer shit is just … Why not use a common pair of scissors and cut a disk of cardboard to glue to the top of your bottle? Really? Does anyone else think spending hundreds of dollars to print a little plastic disk might maybe be a teensy bit over the top?

1 Like

When I first got my 3D printer I thought that it was fun but not very necessary. Then I learned how to create my own 3D models and it became a useful tool. It is still fun to print Ultraman figurines and such but I use it more now to make custom shelf brackets, phone stands, electronics enclosures, knife guards, and much more. This is a great example of a practical use for a 3D printer. Good work, Mark!

9 Likes

This! Plus, it has glutamate, an amino acid necessary for protein production—it’s actually good for you (unless you need to reduce your sodium intake).

The cholesterol from the egg yolk is probably more of a liability than the MSG.

It’s also made using a special blend of vinegars, which is integral to its particularly delicious flavor!

3 Likes

It may help to flesh out your argument a bit more, maybe even include a few citations, to illustrate the point you’re trying to make. If you’d done so, you could have also found that there are a lot of commercially-available foods that have heaps of added free glutamate (not MSG). You could also have learned about how far apart the small intestine and blood-brain-barrier are.

1 Like

If it’s further than say a few blocks, I’m out on that kind of rigorous exercise.

7 Likes

It occurs naturally in your brain. Glutamate is a neurotransmitter among other things. Your body is making this stuff. You’re loaded with MSG whether you eat it or not.

But there’s an American market version of Kewpie. Which drops the MSG.

Apparently they use yeast extract. Which is marketed as a health food. But is gasp, loaded with MSG.

But important point, many people have told me the American one isn’t as good as the Japanese one. Apparently it has more sugar, and a few other changes that alter the taste and texture.

Personally I dispute the need to keep a bottle of actual Japanese Kewpie on end to keep the mayo near the nozzle. Last I bought one the bottles are a ridiculously thin plastic that can easily be squeezed and rolled almost like a bag, not much shaking required.

3 Likes

I’m going to the vitamin / supplement isle in my natural food store, let’s see if I can spot a bottle of healthy MSG, apparently I’m missing out.

1 Like

(Oh gee, now who wants to tell him how healthy vitamins and supplements aren’t?)

4 Likes

Since you are a maker, I’d like to point out that you can create a batch of utterly delicious mayo from an egg, a lemon, salt, mustard powder, oil, a Cuisinart, and three minutes of your time. We often throw in garlic and herbs from the garden. You can refine the ingredients for maximum satisfaction. How’s that for makin’?

7 Likes

Living dangerously, I see.

1 Like