Japanese Kewpie Mayonnaise

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/24/japanese-kewpie-mayonnaise.html

3 Likes

They have this at one of our local supermarkets. Never bought it. Scares me, actually. Just the idea of mayonnaise in a bag. We have milk in a bag too but - no.

3 Likes

Such a coincidence. I just watched a J. Kenji Lopez-Alt video and was wondering what Kewpie mayo was.

This stuff is magic, though I usually buy it from my local asian grocer because it sometimes separates sitting in warehouses for a long time. If you can’t find it in your area, I’ve found that the McCormick Mayonesa with lime is a reasonable substitute.

5 Likes

It’s not too hard to find. They have it on the shelf at Wal-Mart.

1 Like

It’s actually in a plastic squeeze bottle. The bag is just a clear plastic wrap over the bottle.

5 Likes

my husband doesn’t care for it, but oh my how i love it.

8 Likes

3 Likes

Well its a bottle in a bag. Though the bottle inside is weirdly thin, that just makes it a lot easier to squeeze it out without air pockets. And its practically possible to get it all out. And its absolutely the best package mayo you can get.

Is it actual Japanese Kewpie? They released an American version a while back, but its not the same mayo. The American one scraps the MSG and adds sugar apparently. You can tell the difference by the package. Real Japanese Kewpie is the thin bottle in a bag, the American one is a more familiar shrink wrapped thick plastic squeeze bottle.

3 Likes

It’s more like traditional french mayo, less sugar, more lemon. Yumm! The squeeze bottle has a secret…you can flip the tip and there is a star piping tip under it to dispense your mayo real fancy-like… :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

It really depends. I’ve seen it at Walmart in some places (particularly near Seattle), but I’ve never seen it in say, Bryan, Texas or Saugus, Massachusetts.

1 Like

If you want to recreate the spicy mayo used in sushi restaurants, mix Kewpie with Sriracha.

2 Likes

Has a shelf life of literally forever. It does not go bad ever.

The secret ingredient is MSG. Glorious wonderful MSG.

2 Likes

Kewpie and gochujang (korean pepper paste) is also a wonder to behold and you can adjust spice levels.

5 Likes

I couldn’t tell you, I don’t spend that much brainpower on mayo, but after 11+ years of grocery shopping for a family of 4 at the same dang store and I can visualize the kewpie mayo right there, in the Asian aisle, north side, approx 10 feet in on the third shelf. And in my memory palace the kewpie mayo IS IN A BAG! It must be true because how else would a hillbilly like me even know that kewpie mayo comes in a bag?

4 Likes

My local grocery store sells this mayo. I checked it out but became apprehensive when I saw this product right next to it.

4 Likes
5 Likes

It is indeed in a bag. Inside the bag is a plastic bottle. And inside the bottle is the mayo.
4b5a8b27f0002f10-EiDitXla-zoom

3 Likes

I had a Japanese roommate once, and he’d put this stuff all over everything. I couldn’t quite get to trying it for the same reason you say.

Well. Pretty recently, I started reading up on how to make Okonomiyaki, since I love it, and it’s hard to find places in the US which serve it. Many of the recipes basically said, “Accept no substitute!” so I got some.

It’s freaking awesome. You should try it. Put it on savory food!

4 Likes

After getting a jar as a gift from someone from Florida,my fav mayo is Dukes. It’s marketed in the south but now it’s the only reason I go to Wal-Mart in Minneapolis. It has big of tang from cider vinegar.

3 Likes