Japanese Kewpie Mayonnaise

If you are making okonomiyaki (crepes with noodles, cabbage, pork, and egg), it’s essential.

The throbbing headache (from high MSG meals) wouldn’t be worth it for me.

2 Likes

OKONOMIYAKI!!!

If you haven’t had one, you haven’t lived. Also, super easy to make at home.

6 Likes

So there’s no misunderstanding, I was actually commenting on the MSG’ed Kewpie mayo (not the okonomiyaki). Re the oko, if it had little or no MSG, I’d be into it as any foodie would! :slightly_smiling_face:

Blatant attempt by another “foreign enterprise” to benefit from the renown of the greatest hamburger franchise known to man…

5 Likes

How did I live in Central Ohio for 18 years and never go to Kewpee? I have to remedy this.

2 Likes

It’s a heart attack in Freezer Pop form. Plan ahead, guys.

The east-side Kewpee in Lima is just off I-75.

Mustard-pickle-onion is enough to make a person forget about sex for at least a few minutes…and if you order the chocolate malt, you can extend that forgetfulness a bit longer.

1 Like

For okonomiyaki you’ll also need another kuwai bottle-in-a-bag.

Now I want okonomiyaki.

6 Likes

Unless you make the sauce yourself with a good ketchup and wuster sauce.

2 Likes

I can barely get edible food at my Walmart, just Slim Jims and eerily cheap boxes of frozen ribeyes that may or may not have actually been inspected by the USDA.

I can’t even get this sort of thing at the better grocery stores near me. The “Asian” section is one shelf with white people soy sauce and instant ramen. And not the good instant ramen.

Put it on smoked sausage. Especially polish sausage.

a 110 year old comic strip and its subsequent merchandising fad?

I just use Bulldog. There’s not a lot of difference between Okonomi Sauce and Tonkatsu sauce. And the Bulldog is better. You can also sub British/Irish brown sauce, they’re all sort of the same thing.

4 Likes

I’ve got several Asian groceries near me, and it’s still hard to find Pearl River Bridge soy sauce.

2 Likes

Holy smokes, don’t be so overtly literal.

Besides which, if you have never had a Kewpee burger or are ignorant of the legend of the Wilson family’s culinary contribution to the Midwest, this reference is probably meaningless to you, anyway…

Whatever gets you through the night. Throw all the shade you like…

I have a health food store owned by a friend that will sometimes stock kombu if I remember to ask. And that’s kind of it besides canned water chestnut.

I’ll have a look the next time I’m in the local T&T supermarket. (Imagine a large western supermarket with a small Fast East section, then invert that.)

1 Like

image banannerz: Image

I always want okonomiyaki.

4 Likes

I make my own okonomiyaki sauce. There are recipes on the innertubez. Just as good. Simple to make.

2 Likes

I question the strategy of burger joints trying to subliminally riff off of crucifixions.

2 Likes

4 Likes