Omg wtf tsa

Secret launch codes? The minutemen ones were set to 00000000.

4 Likes

A week after I quit my job in early 2012 (for family care reasons, an entirely different bucket of nonsense), I went to my bank branch for routine business. The teller, out loud, apropos of nothing in particular, noted that I ā€œrecently had a job change,ā€ and did a little bit of a soft sell about the bankā€™s IRA products - rollovers and such.

I hadnā€™t filed for unemployment. I certainly hadnā€™t told my bank about my ā€œjob change.ā€ And yet there at the counter was an hourly-wage teller, entirely unknown to me, who - based on prompts on her screen - knew that I was now unemployed.

Within a week.

And thatā€™s when I knew that data privacy doesnā€™t mean fuck-all. Itā€™s dead, folks. The only way to achieve it is to remove yourself from the electronic society, which increases the likelihood that youā€™ll eat poison berries or be eaten by bears. Or both.

So: TSA, banks, etc. That stuff? Transparent data exchange! Itā€™s important. It works!

Iā€™m on week three of trying to get subsidized health insurance coverage through a much-vaunted state exchange.

That? That doesnā€™t work for shit.

Judge a society by what functionality it ensures.

6 Likes

A classic user/IT battle: you can make them obey your security standards; but you canā€™t actually make them be secure if they donā€™t want to beā€¦ Bunch of would-be Gen. Jack Rippers didnā€™t want to be wasting time with some fancy ā€˜codesā€™ nonsense when Ivan dropped the big one. So they complied with the mandate to install the PAL. And not a step more.

1 Like

Can we please just drop the pretense and remove the ā€œTā€ from ā€œTSAā€ and just put the ā€œNā€ there that already runs it?

2 Likes

If it makes you feel any better I know how awesome you are. Black Mirror reference FTW!

1 Like

Luckily for everyone, they are sharing all of this data with corporations as well.
Iā€™m sure nothing could go wrong with this idea at all.
Wanna buy a bridge in Brooklyn?

2 Likes

That is because you are awesome.

That isnā€™t as bad as when they force you to inform if you want to return home from overseas. There is a law against this type of behavior, but it is almost never enforced.

2 Likes

No, that is not the terroristā€™s goal, itā€™s the Home Officesā€™Ā¹ goal. The terrorists are just a convenient excuse they donā€™t have to invent.

Ā¹ Or whatever it is called in any particular country.

1 Like

Keep him tired it makes him well.
Heā€™s getting better canā€™t you tell?

Sorry, just feels appropriate. Yes Iā€™m song quoting. There is no evil plot, not a direct step by step illuminati approved freemason originated plot as directed by the lizardmen of Uranus. Itā€™s just a case of beurucratic momentum and a bunch of people getting a taste of power that can will and are abusing it using either justifications to get what they want, or people just trying to do their job but having to do things they donā€™t like since itā€™s either that or no job.

Yes Iā€™m well aware that keeping silent when you are morally outraged does not absolve you of your inaction at the situation, but I refuse to believe every single member of the tsa on the ground is a cackling mad red stapler hording mini-despot.

Still when itā€™s impossible to tell those willingly drinking the koolaid and those drinking because thereā€™s no water I gues it doesnā€™t matter much.

1 Like

Did you used to be paid by direct transfer into your account? A transfer arrangement that had recently been cancelled?

3 Likes

Missed a headline opportunity there. If youā€™re going for the Hix nix stix pix trope, you could have used the TLA in the article and gone with OMG WTF TSA, ATS YET?

Or something.

1 Like

Dear Federal Govt - I woke up this morning and was a little hazy about why I fucking hate you so much.

Thanks for the reminder. The next time thereā€™s a shutdown, can we permanently furlough the entirety of the scumbags being employed by the TSA?

Oh, thatā€™s right. Thereā€™s ā€œnothing in the budget left to cut!ā€.

4 Likes

Remember Americans, keep your mouth shut if you use your real name online. Theyā€™ll check your FaceBook, Twitter and Google Plus and if they donā€™t like what you say, they can make things ā€œdifficultā€ for you.

The land of the free, the home of the braveā€¦ what a crock of shit.

3 Likes

Doesnā€™t mean you donā€™t work there anymore. You could be in the midst of changing banks or decide paper checks are better or a hundred other reasons.

Hey, thatā€™s the combination to my luggage!

Unless, of course, a ā€œconditionā€ code is transmitted from ADP or whoever to the bank when it cancels the payment.

Iā€™m just speculating here. It isnā€™t clear to me that my bank finding out that I no longer work where I used to means that anything nefarious is going on, although it obviously could.

Oh, there wasnā€™t any real mystery as to how the information got from point A to point C. There just seemed to be, perceptually, a whiplash-quick moment from my personal pit-of-the-gut ā€œMy god, I donā€™t have a job in this economy anymoreā€ realization, to hearing a chipper ā€œI see youā€™ve had a job change! Would you like to know about our IRA rollovers?ā€ from a stranger. A stranger who a) used lingo delivered to her on a display (ā€œJob change! Tee-hee!ā€); and b) was then told by that same screen to sell me something.

It wasnā€™t a moment of inexplicable wonderment so much as a sliver of insight into how things are, and will continue to be, until society decides it would like them to be some other way. Iā€™ve found that sliver to be highly extrapolatable.

1 Like

Why is nobody here commenting on the last part of the blurb?

The T.S.A. also maintains a PreCheck disqualification list, tracking people accused of violating security regulations, including disputes with checkpoint or airline staff members.

So apparently complaining about them means I risk losing the privilege of flying? Does this post count if it is being connected to my real name?

1 Like

Like it isnā€™t? The real problem will begin when the TSA, NSA, DEA, etc all pool their ā€œintelligenceā€. All hail the thinkpol at that point.

1 Like