On Ann Coulter

Indeed. The conservative side of the media gives pundit trolls a voice. The progressive side “reports on” what the conservative side has said. Then the pundit trolls rant about what the progressive side said about them and it goes around again.

2 Likes

The problem is that spreading the message ANN COULTER IS A trolley far and wide also gives more exposure to Ann Coulter, who will subsequently spin that infamy into more guest commentary spots and paid speaking engagements.

2 Likes

Didn’t Malkin hold that title for a while, that of being chief hate-seethe of the right? Although Coulter’s shenanigans really do make Malkin look like an amateur.

There is good money in political trolling. She is cut from the same cloth as Bill Maher, Glenn Beck and Michael Moore. I may not agree with any of them but I respect their ability to sell their snake oil to the masses. They know how to get people riled-up enough to open their wallets.

1 Like

So she’s like the UK’s Melanie Phillips - only blonde - yes?

I don’t know. I think, a while back, Melanie Phillips used to be a human being.

There is a problem with these trolls. The fact that they are so successful and prevalent is a sign of deep divides and irreconcilable hatreds between segments of American society. We have dehumanized each other. I’m not so sure there’s a way back now.

I thought Michael Moore was all about social issues? When did he switch to political trolling?

I secretly suspect that Coulter is a hardcore liberal who’s just really really good at deadpan satire.

People have always dehumanized each other. It wasn’t that long ago that America had friggin’ SLAVES for heaven’s sake.

These trolls may be dreadful people and obnoxious agents of propaganda but the worst they’re actually doing is calling people names. Coulter plays an absurd caricature of an extreme right-wing viewpoint–she’s like a mean-spirited Colbert, a ha-ha-only-serious figure for a particular flavour of conversative to laugh along with.

Aren’t most of the views she espouses pretty mainstream for about a century ago? And people largely consider them repugnant now. That’s progress. Fits and starts, but things get better.

3 Likes

No, they’re different. When I’ve seen Malkin, she was obnoxious and hateful. Coulter’s politely hopelessly over-the-top wrong, and she’s thought about how to express herself in ways that are so deeply, fractally wrong that you can’t just point to one piece of the whole twisted mess that’s wrong.
It’s kind of fun, actually, if you can ignore the fact that she’s saying offensive things about real people, because there’s a lot of content to her trolling as opposed to Rush Limbaugh or whoever just bullying their way through.

1 Like

She certainly was trolling in the classical sense with that post but dang if I didn’t laugh at some of it.

Oh and @beschizza gawker may dwell under a different bridge than Couler but they still dwell under bridges.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.