On "Eastern European Women"

The Eastern European women I've known, and there are many. Are fucking hard. They're in charge, and they're not taking your shit.

Communist governments weren’t keen on the idea of traditional housewives – the percentage of employed women was much higher than in the West and things like daycare were provided to get mothers back to work as soon as possible. So typically you have women who worked jobs who had mothers who worked jobs who had their own mothers who worked jobs and so on.

5 Likes

How could they not?

Seriously, though, I work with a person who came here from Slovenia and who believes her home country was better off under him and as a region of Yugoslovia and not a separate nation.

8 Likes

Hey, I like my women stout enough I don’t have to worry about breaking them…obviously your taste my differ.

6 Likes

One of the pejoratives used on westerners in japan was “stinks of butter”.

4 Likes

Are you missing that she’s criticizing that stereotype?

[ETA] It’s clear from your comments to @AcerPlatanoides that indeed your criticizing Italian TV and agreeing with Jasmina… My apologies!

6 Likes

Trying to find logic as we define it in white supremacy ideology doesn’t work. You really need to see it through their views, which historical, has constantly shifted to fit whatever the situation demanded of them.

7 Likes

This is pretty much what I was expecting. During the Balkan war it seemed like the whole region was thrown into deadly turmoil by a minority of nationalistic assholes.

3 Likes

I found this helpful to understand how East German women negotiated communism, home life, and work:

And in the post-Wende german world, East German women tended to take on leadership roles easier than West German women, who had been relegated more often to more strict social roles as homemakers and mothers than their counterparts in the east. I’d guess that some of this translates into other Eastern Bloc countries, and Yugoslavia and Albania. Indeed, I agree that context totally matters and our social lives are in part dictated by the kind of state we live under.

10 Likes

That was the ideal yes. But even amid that misogyny and unfair treatment of women were pretty well embedded. And the situation since communism? Well Eastern Europe’s reputation for being backward isn’t exactly for nothing. Shit Russia just legalized domestic violence.

No where has ever been free of misogyny in the modern world, to be fair to Eastern Europe. We are also seeing laws being passed here which essentially negate bodily freedom for women in this country. Women’s rights, like the law recently passed in Russia, are indeed a rolling back of the rights women enjoyed previous to this. But let’s not pretend that this is some problem unique to Eastern European cultures.

14 Likes

What’s wrong with having “hands like butter”?

8 Likes

I’m not. Simply pointing out that there wasn’t some unique lack of that situation in Eastern Europe.

1 Like

I am assuming that Kosovo, Albania and Bosnia and Herzegovina don’t count as Eastern European.

7 Likes

He was a ruthless autocrat who was capable of cold-blooded murder but, in fairness, a heck of a guitar player.

OK, really leaving now.

2 Likes

What about the guy I know who is Kosovar Albanian and Czech German, but spent most of his childhood here, and now lives in Sweden/Geneva? Where does he fit in?

6 Likes

Furriner :wink:

5 Likes

Unfortunately he’s male. So he doesn’t get to automagically purify the white blood line just because he makes our pants feel funny.

1 Like

You’re right of course. My apologies. I meant no offense, and should have thought for an extra five seconds before posting.

1 Like

Because their citizens tend to be more “swarthy”, and in some cases “non-Christian”?

“There were no red-haired Irishmen, until the Vikings came to Ireland
And how many Romans had dark curly hair before they brought slaves from Africa?
No race on Earth is completely pure,
Nor is anyone’s mind and that’s for sure.
The winds mix the dust up from every land
And so will woman and man.”

(not sure who wrote it, I heard from Pete Seeger.)

BTW-- why is it on Star Trek everyone still seems to be clearly ethnically defined? You’d think 300 years into the future (and after a devastating world war) things would’ve gotten a lot more mixed up. Instead we get humans who all seem to be from one nation or the other, but occasional mixes between humans and Klingons or Vulcans.

6 Likes

…Because 20th century Hollywood?

10 Likes