On Fox, Peter Navarro still freely spews same disinformation that led to deadly Capitol attack

The headline is accurate. However, I am thinking that given there are active threats on state capitals and both houses and parties of the US congress, it is worth mentioning that the headline. It’s the disinformation that is causing our elected reps to live in fear for their lives. Not sure how I would sum that up. I’m afraid in our optimism we may dangerously pack away the capital attack as a thing that happened rather than a thing that is happening.

1 Like

Sounds like an argument for a proportional voting system to me!

1 Like

That’s what the official Repu(gnant)blican line seems to be shaping up as, based on the “arguments” against impeaching the insurrectionist-in-chief. “We have to find UNITY. We have to PUT THIS DARK CHAPTER BEHIND US.” Sorry, chucklefucks. There can be no forgiveness or unity until there is accountability and justice.

2 Likes

Unknown

didn’t you hear how pissed off he is? but i think the furrowed brow is meant to denote seriousness.

1 Like

The active, ongoing threat needs to be neutralized. That’s a law enforcement problem vs. the other work of holding everyone’s feet to the fire from last week’s events. Interviewed by Stephen Colbert this week, Comey suggested forgetting about Trump and getting him out of DC instead of having a long drawn out proceeding that gives him more of a platform. Comey says let NY deal with him.

The lie is the incitement

2 Likes

He’s an asshat. So it Trump. But just block the fucker’s account yourself, calling for Twitter to shut down his account make you just as bad. I want to know where they are and what they’re saying, not have them meeting in secret cabals.

No, it really doesn’t.

So watch him on Fox. IMO the fewer places people can actively spew intentional misinformation and propaganda to the public, the better.

8 Likes

I be-grubbed myself looking up the email contact forms for Fox News, OANN, and Newsmax, the big conservative / alternate reality cable “news” networks.

I wrote them, imploring them to tone down the “lost election” rhetoric, for the sake of national unity and safety.

If you want to do the same:

Fox News: https://help.foxnews.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Newsmax: https://newsmax.com/contact/
OANN: https://oann.com/contact/

I’m not without hope that they’ll start to pivot. One of the networks that runs conservative talk shows told its hosts to stop spreading the stolen election lie.

PS Here is the letter I sent to Comcast just now:

Dear Comcast Leadership Team:

I am deeply concerned by the state and security of our country after November’s election. The president’s baseless claims of a stolen election has been echoed online, on the radio, and by cable news outlets such as OANN, Newsmax, and Fox News. Millions of Americans now believe this “big lie,” spurring them to radicalism. The horrific assault on our capital, and the reported threats of further violence, are directly tied to this false narrative.

I urge you to contact the management of Fox News, One America News Network, and Newsmax and demand that they turn down the rhetoric and report the truth about the election.

This country cannot survive if these self-serving lies are allowed to go unchallenged.

Sincerely,

Stefan Jones,
long-time COMCAST customer,
Hillsboro OR

10 Likes

Yeah it really does. Calling for censorship because you don’t like what someone is saying instead of countering with your own speech is really just as bad, or worse. Also, sorry, don’t watch Fox (except for the Simpsons).

The FBI file on him thickens.

Yes, saying someone shouldn’t be allowed to lie to people without consequences is exactly the same thing as lying to people without consequences. :roll_eyes:

Edit: here’s the thing about Twitter. Navarro’s followers aren’t going to follow any of the people who say he’s lying, and they’re not going to believe anyone in the replies to his posts who says so either. The only way to stop him from spreading his bullshit to the true believers and mitigate the risk of his lies reaching even more gullible people is to remove him from the platform. He is not owed at Twitter account.

14 Likes

Her going bonkers seemed to coincide the Trump presidency. Instead of just “being conservative” financially, we started to hear more and more (financially irrelevant) political opinion from 2016 onward.

3 Likes

Well, if you’re censoring that channel in your household, that’s hardly twitter’s fault.

14 Likes

sponge-bob-sarcastic-sb

Bullshit. He was actively involved in an administration that sought to end American democracy as we know it and has then merely DOUBLED DOWN on the rhetoric. Trump, Navarro and others did more than just “say things we disagree with” they literally attempted to over throw the elected government.

Stop acting like this is normal political back and forth. It’s gone far beyond that. Maybe YOU are okay with living in a fascist theocratic dictatorship, but we’re not.

15 Likes

I’m not required to talk to them - Fox isn’t required to give him a platform.

And they can’t stop me from stating my opinions on Fox choosing to platform him. I guess you can just go to another channel if you don’t want to hear me.

And of course- none of that applies when someone is involved in organizing a violent coup. No shouting fire inside a crowded country.

11 Likes

Honestly, it’s more like you saying: My car has been ztolen! Then not being able to give any evidence at all.

“what make was it?” “AMERICAN”
“What about the year?” “THAT’S NOT IMPORTANT. MY CAR IS STOLEN!”
“okay, can you tell me what color it was?” “I’M NOT TELLING YOU SHIT. OBVIOUSLY IT WAS STOLEN! YOU AS A COP ARE NOT DOING YOUR JOB I WANT MY CAR RIGHT NOW!”
“can I see your ID?” “HOW DARE YOU!”

3 Likes

Hey, we know spending money to influence politics is somehow protected speech under the first amendment. No reason incitement, violence, and coups d’etat can’t all be protected speech too, right? So long as they come from the right people, of course.

9 Likes

Weird that so many people seem to mistake the idea of freedom of speech (which means the government can not punish you for what you say and believe) for the “freedom” to LIE with no consequences…

16 Likes