On House floor, Rep. Conyers praises burglars who broke into FBI office in 1971

Take any semblance of opportunity away from the people nearest the bottom of the economic ladder and the places where they live are not going to be the nicest parts of town. Yet to my eyes, none of these areas look much different than they did 20 years ago. And yes, I’ve been to most of these areas lately.

1 Like

I was born in Grosse Pointe Farms and lived in Detroit or its environs for most of my life. I think that anyone who’s lived most of their life in a city or town that was once vital sees the deterioration of it differently from those who don’t. Or maybe it’s just me. I’m guessing people who were born in and still live in Flint, MI for example, may feel the same way. My old neighborhood, which is on the east side of Detroit, is MUCH worse than it was 20 years ago. And I’ve been there in the past week.

The decay on the west side of Wayne county has been so slow as to be nearly indistinguishable from the way things looked in the mid-90’s when I arrived in this corner of the Great Lakes. That’s damning with faint praise, though. If these cities were located elsewhere in the US, they’d either be ghost towns or redeveloped by now.

1 Like

Pictures can show it, but seeing Detroit in its glory years - I was born in 1964, so I caught the very tail-end of it - in person…I’ve only heard tell from my parents and older friends. shrug Things go in cycles.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.