On knife-crime island, teens are not allowed to buy spoons

After 9/11 pretty much every single site that receives government funding got super paranoid about security. Even places that were not considered targets or had anything sensitive tightened up. Guards were posted at entrances, rules were set up about who could visit and where they could park, and what you could bring to work was itemized.

A lot of this policy lingers on today… enforcement isn’t as strict because time breeds complacency but the money is still certainly being spent on it.

4 Likes

Exactly my thought - Liam and Josh keep losing the spoons? Or DIVERTING THEM TO THE CUTLERY BLACK MARKET, MORE LIKE!

We are on to your game, “Spoon Brothers Gang”. ON TO YOUR GAME.

13 Likes

Well, he’d only lose them too.

2 Likes

No, no we don’t. Parents, police and communities work actively to prevent children from having access to firearms, and to prevent them from wanting to have access to firearms for the purpose of doing harm to others. It’s illegal for children to possess/handle firearms without direct adult supervision.

Let’s not pretend that America is in the 1880s and thus some sort of Wild West gunslinger alternative to Stabby Surveillance Land. Heck, take away our few Victim Disarmament Zones - NYC, LA, CHI - and our violent crime rate per capita drops dramatically.

6 Likes

Yeah, I couldn’t enter jury duty with a miniature key-chain Swiss pocket.

3 Likes

“I worked in a bank vault for nine years. Believe me, it’s not as glamorous as it sounds.”
Then it must be pretty mundane, because ‘glamorous’ never once came to mind.

And yet, teenagers are still allowed near objects! When will something be done about this menace?

8 Likes

Thanks.

I notice no real statistics were given on the age of the attackers, so I am assuming the numbers don’t support the general hysteria of “youth knife crime”. Based on the … breathlessness of the second article, I will stick to my original assumption that the only crime wave here is by the media trying to attract readers/viewers.

1 Like

Adults want to keep their monopoly on violence. That’s all.

1 Like

When I first got wind of this story, my first thought was that the spoon ban was surely some kind of woefully misguided anti-drug measure. But knife crime? Never would have guessed. (What about scissors?)

Then again, maybe I should have seen it coming.

3 Likes

What about their hands!?!

1 Like

She could have gone to school with a walkie-talkie instead. It’s what Spielberg would have done.

1 Like

Oh, don’t get me started. These young hoodlums take their hands for granted, but where do they put them? In their pockets! Threateningly! Take their hands away, I say! Before somebody does something to something in some way, help!

2 Likes

When I saw the New Point Knives that were suggested as a cure to knife-crime in 2008 there was a realisation that the UK has truly lost the way.

1 Like

If the UK guv’n’r allowed the youths too apply for permits for employment trade/apprentice purposes, they would seem to be reasonable. Have the Employer on the hook as they co-sign/acknowledge necessity of purchase and intent. I have a good mind too ring up the PM’s office and spring it on the old bean.

Where would a young Barber in training be with out a straight razor?

Buy a $5 bastard file and put an edge on anything you want.

From the US here, so take this with a grain of salt, but:

At a guess most parliamentary criminals would be the white collar variety. So you can look forward to bans on the rampant, unchecked use of paper in the near future. Nasty razor edged stuff that.

Politicians: Saving the country one banned book at a time.

1 Like

Appeaseniks like you make me sick. Today it’s a spoon, tomorrow it will be a butter knife, and neither our ICBMs nor our anthrax will protect us.

I remember when I was training to do security at a football club and one of the things we were warned to look out for people trying to bring broadsheet newspapers into the ground. If they are rolled up in a certain way they can be a dangerous weapon.