On replying with the same animated GIF many times

Then you should remove the built-in emoji which de facto encourages this sort of behavior web-wide. And not nearly as wittily as Ms. San’s gif. Isn’t that the whole point of using a non-custom standardised set of pre-packaged instant responses?

:crying-cat:

5 Likes

do it. Do it. DO IT.

8 Likes

So don’t. Problem solved. At least the one you described. Maybe that’s not the actual problem?

3 Likes

Bit harsh.

I love when Mindy uses the slurping gif.

In a thread where someone is demonstrating bigoted behavior, this is how I interpret it.

7 Likes

this, very much.

i see @Mindysan33 posting a multitude of comments which range from the mediocre to the outstanding just like the other regular commenters who make the bbs so interesting, informative, and entertaining. i don’t think she is the only person who uses this gif as a shortcut for the same type of attitude towards a certain type of comment. i would also note that it took me an average of about 0.3 seconds to scroll past that gif in a set of 10 trials.

i know that everyone has their thing which just drives them nuts and this may be one of @codinghorror’s things but i believe calling @Mindysan33 out in public over this was excessive and inappropriate. in my 6th grade classroom i try to provide correction and guidance for a misbehaving student privately before i do it in front of the class unless the situation demands immediacy.

10 Likes

Apologies, but I find the behavior anti-community and anti-discussion, to the point that I feel compelled to speak out against the behavior, because it is long term corrosive to community.

I love all people, of course. Just not necessarily all their behaviors, all the time. Including my own.

3 Likes

It’s like disemvoweling. You can make a case for it, but I think it is long term negative for the community. I don’t like to see a single no-discussion GIF become a substitute for meaningful (or at least interesting) conversation – or flag + ban if that is what is really needed.

1 Like

we are obviously going to have to disagree on both the nature and consequence of the offense you perceive in @Mindysan33’s behavior and whether there was an offense committed in anyone else’s view aside from yours.

as for your apologies, i’m not the one who should get them.

3 Likes

But as everyone knows you love me best of all.

I leik pictures

I apologize to @Mindysan33 as well. I believe the repeated copypasta gif no-text reply behavior is not healthy for a community, to the point that I feel compelled to bring it up in this manner.

2 Likes

Really needed by whom?

I’m not seeing a whole lot of support for your position here…

Would you really bring down the ban hammer on a commenter and/or a single gif, just because you don’t like it? Even though many others do?

1 Like

CH doesn’t wield the ban-hammer.

2 Likes

Is it at all interesting to note that one of the only persistent, bubbling pots of dissent that disgruntled people feel they can legitimately dip into ad hoc is the animated gif thing?

I understand some people just have an issue with the design choice of the placement of gifs but I feel that because the complaint has some legitimising weight that people who feel like lashing out at the community will take opportunities to express negativity like grumbling about design choices.

At any rate, just a pylon I thought might be contributing to the choice for criticism of gif snark. Of which I heartily approve and can report is only really used once opportunities for sane conversation have been ignored, or worse, ignoranced.

Maybe gifs occupy a more immediately apparent phase space where we can observe interactions with other people crossing some line of intrusiveness but I think if there is any such intrusion happening the gifs tend to be a symptom signifying the incident and not the driving force.

2 Likes

I would be annoyed if somebody only talked in gifs here. But great posts peppered with a few choice gifs doesn’t bother me.

2 Likes

So post an annoying gif, I’m the bad guy now… not the sexist asshole. got it.

11 Likes

You’re not a bad guy. You’re not even a guy!

I do wonder if we should have just flagged and suspended that guy to start with. I kind of agree the slurping-gif is a symptom of someone who starts off in bad faith and with a bad faith start, it is awfully unlikely things will improve from there. And indeed, things did not improve.

Well, he got banned but the discussion got off track that’s for sure…

6 Likes
2 Likes