On replying with the same animated GIF many times

it is unfortunate that instead of starting out with something like “we need to have a discussion about using the same gif over and over” you started out with an irritable post which made a sweeping assertion directed entirely at @Mindysan33. when you start off like that it’s hard to take the message as anything other than being singled out. if a post like that had come from someone who was not part of the boingboing staff i would probably have flagged it as abusive rather than responding to it. in retrospect i wish i had so that the discussion could have been brought to the attention of the higher authorities one the site. as many of us have pointed out, that gif is not the only thing she posts. i went back and looked at the 24 hour period before you made your original post here. by my count she made 35 posts. 4 of them were that particular gif. in the 31 other posts she made occasional use of other gifs, i think 4 other gifs. the majority of her posts, 27 out of 35, made no use of gifs.

i have been frequently irritated by comments and posts but this is the first time i have been really unhappy with boingboing the site. i’ve been a member for over a year, i have been at the regular trust level for 5 or 6 months. with this post and your responses to various criticisms and questions you are doing more to harm the community than that slurping gif ever could and i implore you to go back, read through the thread and ask yourself “is it possible i could have handled this better?”

4 Likes

Probably the context you are missing is this topic (at the time, about 7 posts) was split from an existing topic. You are right though, I could have edited the first post to make it more clear. So that is on me, and I apologize.

Also, I am not part of Boing Boing staff, feel free to flag away with gusto. I wish the community would flag more in general.

(I would also say 4 instances in a 24 hour period is … a lot. Like a lot, a lot.)

Edit: at this point I have said my piece, perhaps not in the best way I could have, and I am sorry. I only brought it up because I believe it is an important signifier in a community, and kind of a dangerous path to be on as a community. But we’ve had a reasonable discussion and that is all I wanted. I will now shut up.

He singled me out for post a particular gif, which others have also posted… but you know, I’m an asshole, so I deserve is.

So we can split this off, cause this kind of analysis is close to me.

Is it quantifiable? Measurable? Or a gut feeling? All are fine, but is it a subjective measurement or a score/prior liklihood, necessary condition, gating condition, etc?

I mean you do know like half of the audience here are engineers, right? :smile:

2 Likes

Having seen you use leave this one in conversations other than this one, I’ll just leave it here.

:wink:

3 Likes

I read it differently - I thought that the gif in question was just an example of a tendency which generally you exemplify. So you are probably being singled out, but not really specifically for that gif.

By analogy, if I leave a sock on the floor, and other people have previously left the same sock on the floor, but my wife gets angry at me, it’s probably not really an issue that is specific to that sock, so arguing that I have never left that sock on the floor before is probably not going to fly.

I still say leave your socks wherever. What were we talking about again?

1 Like

You know, I really thought that we would have better internet here in the future. Sitting in Germany with the best service that money can buy for my area, I really seem to remember having a faster, more stable connection that better suited my needs ten years ago. It also didn’t take months to set up.

1 Like

If I may, fuck that. Post it and post it often. The idea that you’re now double guessing whether to post in general makes this BBS a poorer place to be on.

And for this being a public thread to begin with rather than a PM:

8 Likes

2 Likes

@navarro is not the only person to have misapprehended this. I also thought that you were a mod.

4 Likes

I mean, you say that, but…

1 Like

:shrugs: I’ve flagged @beschizza several times. Sometimes joking, sometimes serious. The mods here are good about separating professional duties from personal activities.

2 Likes

I was more highlighting the

part

#?

3 Likes

Flagged. Reason: fish pun defish-ent.

1 Like

That stinks. Implementing such a requirement cannot possible scale site-wide.

4 Likes

I have a Ray of hope it can. I don’t want to use any mussel to do it though.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Ooh, that stings. Why don’t you take your fish puns and skate on out of here.

2 Likes
img[src$=".gif"] { display: none !important; }
1 Like