On the bewildering regional names for corner stores

OMG YOU’RE RIGHT! LOL

I totally read it as “paddywack” ie: from the nursery rhyme! D’oh! Pardon me! I’m a moron! LOL

1 Like

Whose use? When you say “our use,” are you American, or British?

Because when I lived in the UK, I never had reason to understand “Paki shop” as anything other than “shop run by a Pakistani family”

3 Likes

I prefer Berlin-style Spätis to the boring Auntie Emma shops

2 Likes

I am literally itching with the impulse to sort that beer. The very fact that nothing is already falling to the ground suggests some kind of local violation of physics

12 Likes

One says “dep” mainly when speaking English. French speakers (or at least the ones of my acquaintance) seem inclined to say the word in full.

3 Likes

Is “bodega” anything like “bohica?”

In Costa Rica corner stores are called Mini Supers. That cracked us up.

5 Likes

Being originally from Western Canada, my french is abysmal. I managed to fall in with a gang of bilingual friends during my time living there that spoke both languages with enviable ease. They probably used the anglicized “dep” for my benefit, although my accent had improved a whole lot by the time I moved away.

1 Like

I’m by no means an authority on this, but it’s just my impression that when speaking English (regardless of the person’s primary language) the tendency will be to say “dep”, with “dépanneur” being the usual choice in French (again regardless of mother tongue).

But don’t take this for expertise, just one person’s experience.

Oh, we do. I have to hear it from time to time. (Do I live in a nexus for all the shitty possibilities in the U.S.?)

1 Like

…“MIlkbar” is the term for a corner store in Sydney and New South Wales. In Melbourne and Victoria they use the term “dairy”. No idea about the rest of the country – they’re just living in tents anyway.

4 Likes

Ah, but do they sell milk-plus, like the grand old Korova Milkbar?

5 Likes

Tante Emma Läden are more of a small town term, as the more common phrase in Munich now is Kiosk. Used to be that a Kiosk was more like a newsstand, a counter open to the street to buy drinks and snacks, but the term is now expanded in use to mean any tiny store to get food and drinks, especially a quick beer.

I emphasize Munich because it seems a modern development and I cannot tell how other German cities are as I live in Munich, not Berlin or Hamburg.

1 Like

“Mon pays, ce n’est pas un pays, c’est l’hiver.”

3 Likes

It varies. I’ve always used the full word. (I’m originally from Montreal.)

2 Likes

I never knew that as a term for corner stores but in NYC in the east village this place has been around forever

When I was a child in NJ in the 70s we used corner store and bodega both. Dad might send me to the bodega to get some beer or I’d get baseball cards at the corner store.

1 Like

In Japan it’s just “the store” or maybe if it’s a neighborhood place it’s just “(name of owner)-san” with optional store at the end. Convenience stores are “konbini” but that’s only chain shops.

1 Like

“here” meaning the UK. we did not get that influx in the US, so we don’t have the racist slur. nobody knows it over here unless they consume British media.

1 Like

I’ve always loved the Michigan term: “party store.” As a rule, a party store in Michigan sells liquor, but most of them sell general merchandise as well.

7 Likes

speaking of, the impact of The Simpsons on the cultural landscape has made “Quickie Mart” popular or at least readily understood.

7 Likes