On the cruelty of ankle-monitors

that isn’t permitted. when you sign up with the system to pay just under a dollar a minute to talk with a loved one in a state prison, the phone number you list as the number receiving calls from the prison has to be certified by the state agency as being a landline. i don’t know why but that’s the deal.

2 Likes

This is your government @ work. Be very careful how much power you give to government: you too could find yourself wearing an ankle bracelet.

&

https://www.salon.com/amp/jeff-sessions-ludicrous-religious-liberty-task-force-is-the-real-threat-to-liberty

“Sex offender” is a rather vague term.

4 Likes

In some places a conviction for public urination can land you on a sex offender list.

1 Like

I was going to say “all good points and yet I was fine with Manafort having one.”

Is it a problem with ankle monitors or a problem with America using ankle monitors? Frankly, I think its the latter. There is nothing stopping this tech using the same infrastructure as a mobile phone. The cost of maintaining an ankle monitor is going to be a lot less than incarceration so the government can absorb the cost without issue.
For non-violent crimes it seems a better idea to keep people out of the system where their chances of rehabilitation are increased.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.