On this day May 6, 1915, Babe Ruth hit his first home run

Originally published at: On this day May 6, 1915, Babe Ruth hit his first home run | Boing Boing

1 Like

The Babe Ruth stat that really floors me was that during two seasons he hit more home runs than any other TEAM in the American League. And the only National League team that had more home runs than him in 1920 was Philadelphia and they apparently had a really small field. For me, that shows you how dramatic of an effect he had on baseball.

9 Likes

Yesterday Shohei Ohtani did what nobody had done at Fenway since Babe Ruth in 1919.

The guy is phenomenal.

4 Likes

My dad (born in 1918 in NYC) grew up idolizing Ruth and Gehrig. He had kept dozens of newspaper articles about Ruth and sports sections with Yankee box scores from the 20’s and 30’s. I used to pour over them when I was kid - getting lost in the magical names and numbers.

I’m not much of baseball fan these days but I go out of my way to watch Shohei Ohtani. What a marvel!

1 Like

I love/d baseball. I studied it like a scholar. I gave up on it entirely when my man, Carlton Fisk, was forced to retire in a shitty, underhanded fashion. (It was decades later I got a great bio of him, and learned how badly the white sox had treated him while he was with them.) I skipped the steroid years, which also woulda made me quit paying the game any mind. (I was ready to quit again during the owners’ lockout BS this year!)

I eventually began watching again a few years ago, and Ohtani-san, or Shotani as I call him, is one of the greatest gifts the game’s ever received.

brian kenny, one of MLB network’s worst jerkoffs, had insisted Shotani’s really no great shakes after he’d had a couple rough pitching outings last year, and that he should just hit. I said to my tv, “You dumbass. You should be fired if you make two mistakes, going by your rules!”

May 5th, Shotani threw 7 scoreless innings with 11 strikeouts (which is exceptional), while walking No One. I love that it was the first time in over 100 years that a pitcher also batted cleanup :smiley: Fuzzy on youtoob pointed out that Ohtani threw 99 pitches, 81 of which were strikes! He also hit The Green Monster so hard his number fell off it. :smiley:

Ohtani is also an absolutely adorable hunk with a starry smile, and when he’s running, it is poetry in motion.

brian kenny should be forced to eat his collection of ugly cowboy boots, given Shotani’s performances of late.
tophat-tongue_ani tongue sticks out tongue

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.