Once again, John Oliver gives the best debrief of the coronavirus situation

Nup. Not where I am. somebody suggested that opera had a VPN running but still couldn’t crack it. I could try harder but WTF.

Sitcoms could very well do without laugh tracks, they should just rethink their writing and comedy timing. Taking the tracks off existing content is clearly awkward.

For a comedian used to an audience, he holds together well through each of his wisecracks. The silence may be reminiscent of bombing on stage, but I think he’s been well prepared to do this by doing The Bugle podcast with Andy Zaltzman from 2007-2016 - sometimes before a live audience, often not. Like Oliver, Zaltzman has his own voice and they really complemented each other’s talents.

Everyone who is close to normal works better with an audience. Feedback tells you where you need to pump it up. And after working with audiences for so long, you get used to it and it can be a little unsettling to go without. It’s like reaching to step on a top step that isn’t there.

That’s up to the virus to decide. And there’s no way to know what it thinks.

There was one okay joke in there that I kinda chuckled at (the “Rocky” mountains). But for the rest of it, the pacing was so off that it somehow made it less funny. It was never funny to begin with.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.