One excavator operator to rule them all

Originally published at: One excavator operator to rule them all | Boing Boing

8 Likes

I’d really love to have one of those for projects around the property.

12 Likes

Amazing! But just for curiosity’s sake…why not just use a ramp?

6 Likes

Because these machines are very heavy and trucks with tall ramps that can take the weight are a lot more expensive and complicated. You can’t just throw some 2x4s down there.

This is a pretty standard method for getting an excavator on and off a truck. It’s neat if you haven’t seen it before, but quite common.

28 Likes

I like how everyone is just driving and walking around like nothing could go wrong.

5 Likes

That might look cool, but it’s not really a huge deal. Excavator drivers are constantly using the boom and arm in ‘non-digging’ ways. Heck, anyone who owns a compact tractor is very comfortable with using the boom and arm to take the backhoe itself off the tractor. It’s orthogonal thinking that surprises people who haven’t seen it before.

10 Likes

That’s what I want to see: the digger getting back on the truck!

6 Likes

https://www.google.com/search?q=excavator+climbing+on+truck&source=lmns&tbm=vid&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiXooLusuHxAhUGF6wKHdrHCngQ_AUoAXoECAEQAQ

12 Likes

That was awesome! Thanks!

5 Likes

Can You Dig It - The Warriors

13 Likes

why spend a little time and money to pack a ramp on your truck, when you can just as easily block traffic for far longer.

2 Likes

Because the excavator we’re seeing here weighs 11.8 metric tons. That’s a serious ramp that a) you have to be able to afford and b) has its own weight and you have to transport and handle

5 Likes

With regard to the second clip: Who gets to 'judge the dredge"??

3 Likes

Judge Dredge?

(I’ll see myself out.)

14 Likes

That’s roughly how I get myself out of bed every morning.

11 Likes

My initial thought: at some point in the past someone had to figure out how to do this, taking a risky chance with an expensive piece of equipment.

4 Likes

Depending how big said projects are, you could maybe get away with one of these. Or just use it as slow, but awesome transportation:

4 Likes

Seems like there should be a name for this maneuver, The first clip shows what could go wrong.

1 Like

Run the video backwards. That’s very much what it looks like.

3 Likes

We bought our first real tractor this year and I’m here to tell you, the backhoe attachment has reminded me of the joy of play. And also how much wasted effort I’ve put in digging out stumps by hand.

3 Likes