One of the highest-paid cops in the US accused of corruption

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/02/one-of-the-highest-paid-cops-in-the-us-accused-of-corruption.html

7 Likes

“With great power comes, a f**k ton of grift.”

At least I think that how the quote went.

21 Likes

You can get away with a surprising amount of shit in a small, mostly white town out in the middle of nowhere so long as the people are scared of anything metropolitan or “urban” sounding.

11 Likes

Methuen is lower-middle class. $50,000 around here is not that much.

4 Likes

You’ve got to offer high salaries in order to attract the best candidates! :thinking:

7 Likes

Imagine if you could hire a billionaire for the job. He’s be so rich that you couldn’t even bribe him!

10 Likes

Spider-Man DID have sticky fingers…

4 Likes

Well the thing is, Methuen’s not in the middle of nowhere. It’s right next to Lawrence, and Lawrence is every white suburbanite’s worst nightmare about “urban crime hellholes”. If he promised to keep the “melanin-enhanced hordes” over on their side of the line, they’d have traded him their firstborn golden-haired daughters.
Seriously, the way you tell you’ve gone from Methuen to Lawrence is that the roads go from halfway decent pavement to Beruit-crater hell, and the stores go from mid-tier boutiques to Spanish-language body shops with bars on the windows. In, like, the space of a block. It’s surreal. If they could get away with building a razor-wire fence on the border, they’d do it in a heartbeat.

4 Likes

Methuen voted for Clinton/Kaine and Biden/Haris. Not overwhelmingly, mind you.

I looked that up as well. And was actually very surprised. Figured it was trump country for sure.

1 Like

I wonder how many of those juicy job positions via nepotism were actually no-show jobs.

1 Like

Republican politicians correlate almost 1 to 1 with corruption, but they don’t have anywhere near a monopoly on it. Power/money are a motive with a universal adapter, as they say.

Trump let people think he was too rich to take bribes.

3 Likes

I’d happily take every third year as an unpaid penalty if I could earn $300,000 annually.

3 Likes

Ahh that is where the saying “Methuen, the gateway to Lawrence” comes from. or was it “Lawrence, the gateway to Methuen”?

Yup, that’s the sad-trumpet punchline.

1 Like

A corrupt cop???!!! We better call the police.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.