Demographics of law enforcement

Isn’t it nice how academic liberals and other superior groups encourage their children to go into law enforcement, firefighting, EMT, and Paramedic jobs?

I really appreciate that cop hating hasn’t devolved into a tribal shibboleth and is instead entirely based on a genuine desire for positive change. This genuine desire for positive change is the reason that so many left leaning families are taking on dangerous jobs that used to be predominately filled by working class conservatives.

Back when said working class conservatives took on the majority of dangerous jobs, there used to be a perception that the challenge of their job was not understood or appreciated by urban progressives who were vastly underrepresented within their own ranks.

21 Likes

Can we please dispel of this myth that policing is an especially “dangerous” job?
They have lower on-the-job fatality rates than roofers, farmers, crossing guards, delivery drivers, construction helpers and garbage collectors, to name a few, and you don’t get this whole martyr culture in any of those other professions.

And for the record, I have worked at least three of those jobs ranked above cops in terms of “danger.”

28 Likes

The danger of the jobs you mention are due to accidents not direct confrontation - very different psychologically. Police officers are also on that list at number 22. Why would it be a myth to dispel if it is on the top 25 list? Do you think there are 25 jobs? There are thousands and thousands of jobs.

Also, do you think a cross section of that dangerous jobs list is a match politically with a cross section of America as a whole?

The overall majority of police deaths are also due to accidents and/or job related illnesses, though I agree that the risk of being shot or stabbed or beaten to death makes a difference to your mindset. But whenever people go on about how dangerous policing is, they don’t make that distinction. I don’t have stats, but one could probably also make the case that at least some of the violent deaths could be avoided if police were better at de-escalation instead of (quite often) acting in ways that make the situation more tense and dangerous.

And, no, that list doesn’t represent a cross section in any way. For one thing, those fields are largely male-dominated. As a woman who has worked a few of them, I can report that “they” try to keep it that way through harassment. (Not everyone, obviously, but enough that it takes a tough person to put up with it.)

16 Likes

The article you cited says “The most common cause of death for police officers at work is violence by persons.”

I’m a liberal progressive btw, and agree wholeheartedly that the police force has deadly serious issues with corruption and racism. I’m disheartened about how dumb and unproductive the discourse has become.

23 Likes

Working class conservatives are the majority of prostitutes?

TIL!

20 Likes

YOU ARE ONE OF THE GOOD ONES, SIR !!!

thank you for your service

6 Likes

Virtually every single person in my extended families belie what you just said, on both ends of the political spectrum.

Perhaps you’re simply repeating what you’ve heard, instead of having actual knowledge on the subject?

13 Likes

You know what’s massively more dangerous than being a police officer?

Being a person of color in the presence of a police officer.

26 Likes

I used the police themselves for the death stats:

Being shot is the one most common issue, but that (even combined with other violence from persons) doesn’t account for the “majority” of deaths, which is what I was getting at.

14 Likes

Lol, I wonder if that’s counted in the “job related illness” category.

13 Likes

IT’S THE LIBERALS !!! THE REAL PROBLEM IS THE LIBERALS !!!

15 Likes

Another job-related illness has apparently been a problem for police lately, as many of them have been too cool to consistently wear masks or do social distancing.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m not sure what is dumb or unproductive about the discourse. What I’ve seen so far is:

• Cops aren’t qualified or trained to do a lot of things they are called on to do.
  • We should let qualified, trained people respond to those calls, and fund their organizations accordingly.
  • If cops can’t or won’t police themselves (which, they obviously won’t, this video being one of the most minor examples possible), then we as a society need to put structures in place to police them.

Edited: tyop

18 Likes

Oh stop it.

16 Likes

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

23 Likes

educated people, you see, are stupid and wrong about everything

that’s just science

23 Likes