Ongoing coronavirus happenings

This might be true, I enjoyed seeing Adam Sandler join in the fun.

Miley Cyrus performing Wish You Were Here made me cry a little, don’t laugh at me.

5 Likes

WWOBAO (What Would Obama Be Accused Of)

What If Obama

Lindsey Graham would throw a hissy fit, conservative media would screech, and The Objective News would make it the top story - even now! - because that’s what they do.

And so last Friday, the day before Mr. Pence was to speak at the Air Force ceremony in Colorado, Mr. Trump, never one to be upstaged, abruptly announced that he would, in fact, be speaking at West Point.

That was news to everyone, including officials at West Point, according to three people involved with or briefed on the event. The academy had been looking at the option of a delayed presidential commencement in June, but had yet to complete any plans. With Mr. Trump’s pre-emptive statement, they are now summoning 1,000 cadets scattered across the country to return to campus in New York, the state that is the center of the outbreak.

General Williams said in a telephone interview that returning seniors would be tested off-campus for the coronavirus. Those who test negative will then be sent to the school, where they will be monitored for 14 days before graduation. While the campus has enough dormitory rooms for the 1,000 seniors, General Williams said that he was still deciding whether seniors would share bedrooms on their return.

With this kind of thing, there are two questions. If the Democrats had a Lindsey Graham throwing a hissy fit for this kind of stuff, would The Objective News follow suit? That is, are the Democrats just bad at playing this particular game or is the game so rigged against them that they shouldn’t bother?

Also, should they play this game?

This is actually something that matters, not just the usual fake scandal of the day, though it has the trappings of the kind of fake scandal which would have proven Obama Hates The Troops And America And Wants Us All To Die Probably Because Of Kenyan Anti-Colonial Sentiment. But, again, this actually is a big deal, and not just “Obama did salute badly” or some shit.

Atrios at 08:00

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/pentagon-coronavirus-testing

Apparently this includes West Point graduates required to travel and endure two weeks quarantine for the privilege of hearing Donald Trumpvirus give what I’m sure will be a truly great speech.

15 Likes

Best sketch of the night, tho…

We all need Jason Sudekis doing the running man through our online meetings…

Also… whiskers r we, but with the same cat… :kissing_cat: :kissing_cat: :kissing_cat: :kissing_cat: :kissing_cat:

9 Likes
11 Likes

This ingrained American exceptionalism; this idea that things like this happen to other people, in other times and places, kept me from convincing some of my elderly relatives to take this seriously for weeks when this was starting out. (The literal plague pits a few miles from where they live did wind up getting through to them eventually)

These people aren’t Trumpers or anything, either. They’re educated people, and generally very sensible (almost to a fault) when it comes to things they have the context to understand, anyway.

10 Likes

16 posts were split to a new topic: Michael Moore: Planet of the Humans available for free

Blackadder__Hot potato

6 Likes

NYTimes:

9 Likes
23 Likes
11 Likes

Yes, undoubtedly hundreds of… Republicans:thinking:

ETA:

15 Likes

I suppose that this is the “best” that Trump can do these days in squeezing out whatever circus-buzz/bread-for-the-masses/flag-hugging benefits for himself. A parade polluted with a formation of tanks is most definitely out.

Plus – obviously – he misses the autocratic thrill of standing in front of a silent and obedient crowd.

6 Likes

21 Likes

How many of those 440,000 people thought it was a petition against Windows Vista, though?

But seriously, how is Alex Jones allowed to walk free right now? I would say he needs to be locked in a small box with no key, but is that really fair to the box?

19 Likes

Apparently a nasty bitch at the farmer’s market spouting that shit this morning. Madam Mrs The Ratel had already bought something from her when she started in, unfortunately.

There have to be real consequences for this shit, or we are not going to survive as a species. If “more speech” is the answer, I’m not fucking hearing it.

Just a reminder, Alex Jones is too stupid and lazy to be coming up with this stuff by himself. These are all invariably targeted attacks on America and democracy itself by the Russian government.

14 Likes

The tragic part is that some of them will also harm their children by forcing them to ingest disinfectants too.

16 Likes

There are so many levels of classism, sexism, toxic masculinity and puritanical behavior here, it would take hours to fully lay it out.

But the very first, basic, easy step we can take? Treating sex work like work instead of stigmatizing it, and giving sex workers the same benefits and protections as all workers (and improving those, too). But those guys don’t give a shit about that. They literally want to force a woman into entertaining them so they can “magnanimously” shove a dollar into her underwear and she has to pretend to be grateful for it.

31 Likes

Have the graduates no choice to refuse? Will they be denied their degrees/certs/whatever if they choose NOT to endanger their health and safety needlessly?

13 Likes

Ask Former Captain Brett Crozier…

Seriously, I don’t know, but military personal are often required to waste a lot of time and endanger themselves so that some general or other can give them an “inspirational” speech. And even if it’s not technically required, the military brass are pretty much all hardcore Trumpies, so god help you with them if you refuse.

12 Likes

Are they already members of the armed forces? If so, I assume they have no more right to refuse than if they were being sent to a combat zone.

11 Likes