Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Fuck.

(There’s a free trial if you want to read the whole article but the headline nails it anyway.)

19 Likes

Moscow Orders Citywide Quarantine Starting March 30

Moscow will enact an indefinite citywide quarantine starting Monday, Mayor Sergei Sobyanin as the city’s number of coronavirus cases surpassed 1,000 over the weekend.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/03/29/moscow-orders-citywide-quarantine-starting-march-30-a69789

11 Likes

Tragic story from my hometown that happens to be in the hudson valley which getting slammed pretty hard by the coronavirus

She said her brother had psychological and substance abuse problems but said he was off his meds because the facility where he was receiving counseling and medication in Middletown was closed because of the coronavirus.

15 Likes

Well, that is some Grade A bullshit right there.

I particularly like the swift descent from:

and:

What I’m doing here is nothing exotic. I’m taking standard Darwinian economics—standard economic-evolutionary theory out of Darwin—and applying it to this particular case. And, if that’s wrong, somebody should tell me.

to:

Boo-yah! Straight to the ad hominem…

It is true that some lawyers learn to cross-examine, I think it equally true that none of us learn to be cross-examined. Especially Professors of Law.

20 Likes

What are the country club G and T drinkers gonna do now?

10 Likes

[Epstein] More importantly, on the other side, where there’s no dispute, it’s clear that people will start to evolve away from these things so that the rate of transmission will start to go down.

He knows dick about evolution. The New Yorker didn’t even bother smacking him on that one.

eta: Another alumni of the Hoover Institution is Dinesh D’Souza. Shock!

18 Likes

walking-dead-darryl-only-one-zen

6 Likes

I thought it was Pimm’s, strawberries and cream.

6 Likes

He’s a climate change denialist, too. When this is all over, there should be a register of assholes who are never again given a platform from which to spew their stupid opinions.

“I’m taking standard Darwinian economics—standard economic-evolutionary theory out of Darwin—and applying it to this particular case.”

What the hell does that mean? I assume it’s an attempt to put a gloss of science on libertarianism.

24 Likes

Being in Tucson, and personally proactive, the extent of Doug’s Douchery was unclear to me, apart from keeping the gun licker fetish shops open.

Hero:

“We cannot comply with CDC guidelines and stay six feet away from our clients,” Negron said. She does facials and nails at her salon in Apache Junction, 30 miles east of Phoenix. “I have many elderly clients and I don’t want to put them at risk.”

She has decided to voluntarily close after 14 years in business. But she said it would have been easier had the governor made the call to shut everyone down.

What it means to force people to choose:

Ricardo Zúñiga, a 28-year-old college student, said a pre-existing health condition made him nervous about continuing to deliver flowers for a large company, “but I’m afraid I’ll simply be replaced and not have a job at all when this situation is over if I choose to stay home”.

Tucson gets the last word:

Regina Romero, the Tucson mayor, ordered all businesses in her city not designated as essential by the governor to close and recommended salons and barbers do the same. “We cannot afford to wait any longer,” she said in a 27 March statement. “Covid-19 is not waiting and neither can we.”

13 Likes

It means Multisyllabic word salad makes me sound smart to the Trumpkins. Why the hell isn’t it working with you?

21 Likes

I assume he’s referring to “evolutionary economics,” which is an actual thing and goes back to Thorstein Veblen.

Yeah… we know.

:thinking:

Oh no!!! :pensive:

17 Likes

This is actually kind of cool.

(I’m looking forward to the movie; the play was supposed to be pretty good.)

8 Likes
6 Likes

True, but “Darwinian economics” is definitely a garbage term, so he’s probably a pretender when it comes to economics too.

16 Likes

Especially since we know that Economics was created 6000 years ago, and hasn’t changed since.

10 Likes

So nothing to do with the progress of a pandemic, for which he made a wildly wrong guess that he dismisses with a shrug.

11 Likes

https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/27/can-my-husband-see-his-mistress-french-police-receive-bizarre-lockdown-questions?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

‘Can my husband see his mistress?’: French police receive bizarre lockdown questions

COMMENTS

17 Likes
21 Likes