Ongoing coronavirus happenings

21 Likes

How many of those 440,000 people thought it was a petition against Windows Vista, though?

But seriously, how is Alex Jones allowed to walk free right now? I would say he needs to be locked in a small box with no key, but is that really fair to the box?

19 Likes

Apparently a nasty bitch at the farmer’s market spouting that shit this morning. Madam Mrs The Ratel had already bought something from her when she started in, unfortunately.

There have to be real consequences for this shit, or we are not going to survive as a species. If “more speech” is the answer, I’m not fucking hearing it.

Just a reminder, Alex Jones is too stupid and lazy to be coming up with this stuff by himself. These are all invariably targeted attacks on America and democracy itself by the Russian government.

14 Likes

The tragic part is that some of them will also harm their children by forcing them to ingest disinfectants too.

16 Likes

There are so many levels of classism, sexism, toxic masculinity and puritanical behavior here, it would take hours to fully lay it out.

But the very first, basic, easy step we can take? Treating sex work like work instead of stigmatizing it, and giving sex workers the same benefits and protections as all workers (and improving those, too). But those guys don’t give a shit about that. They literally want to force a woman into entertaining them so they can “magnanimously” shove a dollar into her underwear and she has to pretend to be grateful for it.

31 Likes

Have the graduates no choice to refuse? Will they be denied their degrees/certs/whatever if they choose NOT to endanger their health and safety needlessly?

13 Likes

Ask Former Captain Brett Crozier…

Seriously, I don’t know, but military personal are often required to waste a lot of time and endanger themselves so that some general or other can give them an “inspirational” speech. And even if it’s not technically required, the military brass are pretty much all hardcore Trumpies, so god help you with them if you refuse.

12 Likes

Are they already members of the armed forces? If so, I assume they have no more right to refuse than if they were being sent to a combat zone.

11 Likes

Fuck if I know, that’s why I’m asking. I don’t know if a West Point grad is technically in the military, or if there’s a separate induction of some sort upon assignment.

I can only assume many would probably rather be in an actual combat zone than forced to listen to 45 babble incoherently for hours on end.

11 Likes

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/25/ourselves-scientist-says-human-intrusion-nature-pandemic-aoe

I post this mostly to point out that “Racoon” is an anagram of “Corona”. Coincidence?

I think so.

Please, please don’t let the loonies see this.

12 Likes

“Opposition Politicians” is AP’s new code-word for “reality”.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/uk-prime-minister-boris-johnson-returning-to-work-after-covid-19-recovery

Oh goodie.

Opposition politicians say Britain’s coronavirus death toll could have been lower if Johnson’s Conservative government had imposed a nationwide lockdown sooner.

15 Likes

But if we state plain facts as if they’re plain facts, the right will call us biased!

8 Likes

“And if we uncritically pass on lies, the left will call us…oh wait, we don’t give a shit what they think.”

6 Likes

Looks like they’re considered active duty. I guess Cadet is a rank and they get Lieutenant bars when they graduate.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/38/1965

You have a requirement to serve after graduation.

10 Likes

Well, that surely sucks for them, then.

10 Likes

They’re probably required to clap for the orange asshole too.

9 Likes

As answered previously by others, West Point cadets are members of the military. However, they could chose to resign their comission at graduation, so in that sense they are not 100% beholden yet.

You may be surprised at how popular Trump is among the active military, and especially so at the service academies. Many of these cadets will relish the opportunity to attend.

9 Likes

No doubt. They arent required to pray though, yet.

7 Likes

well. they both do use roman letters. that’s some sort of conspiracy right there. ( philip k dick was right. the empire never ended! )

slightly more seriously, could be perhaps around 14% of words are anagrams of each other. (
Anagram frequency )

6 Likes

You have no idea how very much I genuinely appreciate your acknowledgment that the question has indeed already been answered. (It can be a minor annoyance to get numerous replies that all reiterate the exact same point, because so many folks just don’t bother reading through the whole thread before replying.)

:slight_smile:

No, I’ve heard - I choose not to dwell on it because this reality is already depressing as fuck as it is, thanks.

11 Likes