Ongoing Mpox Happenings and other epidemic news

The monkeypox outbreak was predicted by a Nigerian doctor years ago : Goats and Soda : NPR

[…] Ogoina knew these findings had massive implications. It meant the virus no longer needed to jump from an animal. Instead, it could now easily jump from human to human, and that meant the current outbreak in Nigeria would be extremely difficult to stop. It meant monkeypox was no longer just a threat to communities in West Africa but a threat to the world. So Ogoina tried to warn Nigerian health officials years ago. They wouldn’t listen. At an international meeting, he tried to bring up the possibility of sexual transmission. Somebody told him to be quiet.

“years ago” = 2017

13 Likes

The missus confirmed positive cases in our community at her hospital. Adult woman (confirmed) and children (TBD, but probable).

Joy

13 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes

Can we be done with the “It’s only a gay disease” now, please?

15 Likes

And how long did that take for AIDS?

I am worried about how fast we are going to go past the “Triaging the vaccine means giving it to gay men” stage. Or maybe we already are.

Life sucks these days. Locally they did announce the criteria to be eligible for the vaccine. I think they were all sexual behaviour based.

9 Likes

In the US, the case total is now up to 6,326, the largest tally in the world, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The US confirmed its first case on May 18 and has added more than 2,500 cases in the past week or so. Cases have now been reported in every state, except for Wyoming and Montana. So far, no deaths have been reported

We’re #1! We’re #1!

Crap…

14 Likes

Fuck, this is so depressing…

12 Likes

Well all that mis-directed fomite preparedness at the beginning of COVID will come is useful. Unless they find out the mode of transmission is different than initially thought.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Close physical contact. Stupid, invulnerable college kids. Yeah, start of classes should be… interesting.

16 Likes

When it comes to where students with monkeypox would isolate, there’s huge variability across colleges, even in places where schools had housing set aside for students who tested positive for COVID.

“Some are retaining isolation housing for COVID, or for whatever infectious illnesses it may be needed for,” says Mortenson. “Others have completely relinquished their inventory.”

My local university is requiring students to isolate off-campus without apparently providing any help, certainly not financial, in securing new lodgings.

11 Likes

Good summary of where we are now:

Just did my first monkeypox test here on a kid who was playing with a neighbor recently returned form Africa. Sigh, we have truly learned nothing form the past 2 years, or HIV/AIDS prior to that.

Update: Doing that test resulted in my nurse and myself spending over 20 min between us on the phone with the HD epidemiology dept. On a very busy clinic day. We cannot do this for every one of these if this gets going for real.

19 Likes
10 Likes

Real Housewives Sigh GIF

12 Likes

It happened before, 4 years ago, during a Yellow Fever outbreak.

10 Likes
8 Likes

It was only a matter of time. Fuckin’ a, people, can we just not bring back all that bad actors form the past? Please?

12 Likes

State health officials said the majority of adults do not need the polio vaccine or a booster because they were already vaccinated as children.

It is, however, recommended adults receive one lifetime booster if they are traveling to an area with widespread polio transmission.

For example, Florida.

I hope responsible parties are getting ready to distribute boosters (as well as initial vaccines).

11 Likes

In the late '90’s, we switched from live polio vaccines (OPV) to inactivated polio vaccines (IPV). There is concern, which may bear out here, that the immunity provided by the IPV is not as complete nor as durable as the OPV was. For us oldsters, we are probably OK. Those vaccinated with IPV, I am not as confidant.

14 Likes