Marjorie Taylor Greene schools MAGA folk on how you catch monkeypox: "gay sex orgies"

Originally published at: Marjorie Taylor Greene's lesson on how to get monkeypox — "gay sex orgies" — will surely backfire | Boing Boing

5 Likes

MTG catches monkeypox in 3…2…1…

31 Likes

Once there was just that one village idiot sitting on a stone wall down the road from Gomorra who just kept calling the local officials in Sodom complaining about the noise.

7 Likes

‘sex orgies’ … Is there some other kind of non-sex orgy we’ve been missing out on?

27 Likes

I’m all in favor of making fun of MTG and assorted wingnuts, but I think it also needs to be acknowledged up front that these people are doing this on purpose, partly to get engagement and partly because they want their disciples to hate LGBTQ people enough so they’ll go out and commit genocidal acts.

The tone should be much less “Tee hee! Nazis are dumb and ineffective!” and more “Nazis are going to kill a hell of a lot of innocent people, so watch the fuck out.”

31 Likes

Madison Cawthorne tried to warn them. But did they listen?

17 Likes

If she’s the first ‘big name’ to catch monkeypox, it could be popularly renamed Marjoriepox.

A logical follow-up would be MTG being called Monkey Taylor Greene.

11 Likes

We’ve seen this show before. At least this time it isn’t the President blocking serious work on prevention and treatment.

With MTG spearheading the program, I think “the second time as farce” might have something to it.

5 Likes

Couple of things this could trigger:

1. Her followers who catch it will conceal it from everyone and might not seek treatment to avoid being labeled “gay” or as a gay orgy practitioner.
  2. When someone outside of her followers catches it, they (her followers) will be quick to call them gay, pedophiles, orgy-goers, and whatever other stupid shit they come up with, which will in turn lead to more hatred, bigotry, and homophobia than what we see today.

Shame on her!

12 Likes

I already saw a story on Twitter of a massage therapist with all the symptoms, but they wouldn’t do a test for it because she’s not a gay man. This is already getting ugly.

17 Likes

I think the non-sex orgies you are referring to is called Fox News, …and we know where that leads…

4 Likes

and in some cases it’s spread through respiratory “secretions”.

Reminds me of a scene in Huckleberry Finn. Con men The King and The Duke learn a wealthy man has died and convince the gullible townspeople that they’re his heirs, come from England. The King invites the town to the man’s “funeral orgies.” His accomplice manages to clue him in that the correct word is obsequies. After a moment of working the crowd, The King explains:

“I say orgies, not because it’s the common term, because it ain’t–obsequies bein’ the common term–but because orgies is the right term. Obsequies ain’t used in England no more now–it’s gone out. We say orgies now in England. Orgies is better, because it means the thing you’re after more exact. It’s a word that’s made up out’n the Greek orgo, outside, open, abroad; and the Hebrew jeesum, to plant, cover up; hence inter. So, you see, funeral orgies is an open er public funeral.”

13 Likes

Drink!

2 Likes

And here is Dan Savage’s take on the situation:

I tried to raise the alarm about monkeypox on the May 24, 2022, episode of the Savage Lovecast, back when there were 100 cases in 15 countries, all of them among gay and bi men. Now there are more than 5,000 cases all over the world, and almost all of them—more than 99% of cases—are among gay and bi men [emphasis added].

“Right now, it’s behaving very much like an STI—and almost all of the cases have been among men who have sex with men,” said Dr. Ina Park

Jumping from hundreds of cases to thousands of cases probably could have been averted if there had been more brutal honesty early on. Dan Savage is very gay, gay married, and very progressive. Not that that should make any difference, because viruses don’t care about any of that. The reality is, it’s 99% gay men who are getting this, and the blisters are most commonly showing up on the genitals and anal region, so… maybe reality and preventing disease matters more right now that being delicate about how people feel?

1 Like

My favorite typo of late

23 Likes

Orgies of destruction?

It’s not “being delicate” to think about how the ways this is being reported and engaged with by medical types can amplify growing homophobia. There‘s a selection bias present because MSM are often more proximate to STI testing, and there are already cases of non-MSM developing monkeypox and being refused treatment, as mentioned above.

“gay men” is incorrect.

What do you think that emphasising the current overrepresentation of MSM among those diagnosed accomplishes? Do you think that somehow prevents it spreading? There’s already a vaccine for this, we could be mass-producing and distributing it instead of blaming already-marginalised groups. What does “brutal honesty” get us when vast numbers of MSM are highly attuned to this and already adjusting their behaviours and trying to get vaccinated?

6 Likes

12 Likes

It could have gotten changes to behavior to happen faster, like as soon as Dan Savage started talking about it, which was in May. It could have gotten the organizers of circuit parties and similar events / venues to cancel them starting in May, at least until the vaccine could be made widely available. That’s it. Edit: I realize this would have been a post-covid business disaster for a lot of venues that were expecting to come roaring back to profitability in 2022 pride month. But to me that’s a very sad calculation to put that ahead of a serious health problem.

Ramping up vaccine production isn’t fast or easy. Normally it would take years to expand production. It’s a miracle of science and industry that we can even talk about getting vaccine production to increase within months rather than years.

3 Likes