Ongoing Mpox Happenings and other epidemic news

Yeah, the mods did try, I guess they get credit for the effort at least? I have to think that over here that would have been shut down with some prejudice. But we’re special!

8 Likes

He could be left outside in the dumpster?

3 Likes
11 Likes

Health officials are now working to curb the outbreak, including conducting contact tracing at affected facilities, coordinating with local health care providers on measles awareness efforts, and reaching out to families to educate them about and encourage vaccination with the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine.
We have not seen an uptick here on MMR vaccinations yet from what we usually do

At this point, at least in Fascist circles, the antivax bullshit is so enmeshed with the political brainwashing that I don’t really expect to see much response to this effort. What we have done to our children with this crap will haunt us for years.

16 Likes
13 Likes

Well, fuck. Thanks, climate change.

12 Likes
6 Likes

I trained in the heart of histo country in the Monongahela Valley. It’s everywhere where there is enough dampness for it to grow. Not a lot of fun, but we have worse going on right now.

4 Likes

With no data to go on, this is not really interpretable. RSV severely affecting an older child is rare, but not unheard of, especially if they are immunocompromised or have pulmonary issues. This year has been brutal for RSV, not for severity as such, but for volume. The larger the patient volume, the more likely some very rare and weird things are going to happen.

The county is asking families over the holiday season to be very careful around babies and young children, who are particularly susceptible to RSV. Arballo Jr. said adults should consider wearing a face mask and frequent hand washing, and advised against handling children if ill.

Very good advice, which a suspect will be roundly ignored by most folks.

11 Likes

However, just 81% of children globally have received the first dose and 71% have received the second dose, the lowest coverage worldwide seen since 2008.
Consequently, there were 9 million cases of measles and 128,000 deaths around the world with at least 22 countries experiencing “large and disruptive outbreaks.”

Measles is not “just a rash, and then it’s gone.” Not only is it deadly, it functionally resets your immunity, eliminating the immune memory that protects us from most infectious diseases. People have forgotten how nasty it was. And, of course, it is very fashionable now in a certain red-hatted demographic, to denigrate vaccines of all sorts. Seeing lots more parents refusing vaccinations now over “parental rights” issues. Sometimes I cannot muster the energy to argue.

13 Likes

Tired Bette Davis GIF by Maudit

5 Likes

They care a lot more about their parental rights, than about the wellbeing of their children.

7 Likes

Column: COVID boosted anti-vaccine propaganda. Now measles and other childhood diseases are on the march

8 Likes
7 Likes
4 Likes

Confirmed cases have risen from 18 in mid-November to the confirmed case count of 50, as of Friday morning. Twenty of the cases have required hospitalization. No deaths have been reported.

50 cases, 20 hospitalized. That’s not real good. And as a reminder, all-causes infectious morbidity and mortality jumps significantly following measles infection. And all is preventable.

11 Likes

Fecking idiots. I feel for those kids.

8 Likes
9 Likes

At the time of this reporting, the dashboard was last updated on December 8. Of the 63 total cases, 60 were unvaccinated, with 46 being age 1 or older.
Twenty-five of the 63 cases have required hospitalization.At the time of this reporting, the dashboard was last updated on December 8. Of the 63 total cases, 60 were unvaccinated, with 46 being age 1 or older.

Twenty-five of the 63 cases have required hospitalization.
40% hospitalization rate is not good.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, just one MMR dose is estimated to be 93 percent effective against measles. Two doses are 97 percent effective. People who get their two doses on the recommended schedule are considered protected for life.

These are very good numbers, but as the n gets higher, that 7% and 3% gap becomes more and more into play. When it happens, and it will, the antivaxxers will point to this as “proof” that vaccines don’t work. At 0.1% mortality, more or less, there will probably not be any deaths unless this gets really out of hand, but that is not a guarantee either. And subacute sclerosing panencephalitis lingers as a possibility for the kids who recover. All of it preventable.

rage GIF

(ETA to fix the one-box)

9 Likes
7 Likes