Ongoing Mpox Happenings and other epidemic news

Stuff like this makes me think that parents refusing to vaccinate their children should be tried for child abuse.

8 Likes
10 Likes

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF by Bill & Ted Face the Music

9 Likes

9 Likes

keanu reeves cat GIF

5 Likes

7 Likes

Oh Yeah Wink GIF

7 Likes

7 Likes

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

8 Likes

We need a Keanu cleanser

7 Likes

Isn’t Keanu himself a cleanser?

Love You GIF by Sky

7 Likes

Camping Lisa Simpson GIF by The Simpsons

Oh, god, me too.

6 Likes

He can always be my maybe.

6 Likes

P1m3446

10 Likes

Indeed GIF by maddyshine

@NukeML

8 Likes
8 Likes

Awww fuck. We are really doing this. For anyone who does not know, measles is a bastard of an illness. Beyond the misery and (until Omicron) unmatched attack rate, there is a minimum 0.1% mortality rate, which goes up significantly in the face of malnutrition. Particularly with vitamin A deficiency. Then there is this about 1 in 10k risk of something called subacute sclerosing panencephalitis. Basically, 100% fatal, unstoppable melting of the brain. If that’s not enough, it also effectively resets the immune memory, resulting in a huge jump in all-causes morbidity and mortality following a case of measles. And all completely avoidable. But for some, Boko Haram, MAGAts, plenry of other groups that trade on ignorance, these things are immaterial or they just don’t believe (or don’t care) that they will occur. And they will. It just takes enough cases. Getting loose in Mumbai? Holy shit, y’all…

13 Likes
10 Likes

Angry Work GIF

5 Likes

The weirdest part of that (other than it happening at all) is the 40% hospitalization rate. That is way high, and has been pretty consistent across the several weeks of this outbreak. The n is small enough that I don’t expect any serious outcomes, but either there a lot of undiagnosed cases, the population is particularly vulnerable (other than vaccine status) or something has changed in the virus. And that can keep me up at night.

10 Likes