Oops! Student busted for playing Call of Duty during Zoom class while unmuted

Originally published at: Oops! Student busted for playing Call of Duty during Zoom class while unmuted | Boing Boing

3 Likes

In my day… something something…

3 Likes

I’m shocked that it wasn’t a constant stream of racist, misogynist and homophobic epithets.

11 Likes

I’ve had a number of students not realize their camera was on and just blatantly texting, or bopping around to muted music, or I can see their Netflix reflected in their glasses, etc. If it’s disrupting the other kids I kick them out of the class and email their parents and admin and mark them absent. If it’s not disrupting anyone I email the kid, I’ve found if I call them out in real time they just turn off their camera and/or log out.

10 Likes

Zoom education is a real Battlefield. The only thing saving students are dedicated teachers like this who answer the Call of Duty. As for the student, he’ll be lucky to get a 30 in this class … bro.

9 Likes

Well, better to learn this lesson now playing video games than doing something else later at, say, the New York Times. :grimacing:

6 Likes

RHD, I bet you teach in a private school. My daughter teaches French in a public high school, and was told in no uncertain terms that she will NOT mark down a remote “learner” as absent. A few of her students will log into a class session, then immediately disappear, giving no response when asked to. Public school districts are partly funded on a formula of student attendance X hours, ya know.

5 Likes

Well, we only heard one person on the feed…and he wasn’t losing yet…

4 Likes

With most video conferencing software the person conducting the meeting is the supreme dictator and should be able to mute attendees at will, should they so desire.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.