Open Enrollment

So you literally cannot provide a reason for enrollment being done the way it is despite having what, 4 or 5 posts to do so?

5 Likes

It doesn’t matter what I say. You’ll dismiss it regardless. Good luck with your enrollment.

Heaven forbid someone doesn’t accept your opinion at face value.

4 Likes

It isn’t my damn opinion. It’s you being pissed off that somehow things didn’t go your way and you feel slighted by it. It doesn’t matter what I say you aren’t going to agree about anything the industry does as it somehow screwed you over. Ergo in your mind: system is fucked.

I already pointed out every plan provider has set windows for record keeping and to ensure adherence to plan guidelines. Additionally many record keepers have moved away from manually based to digital and ensures multiple checks. You countered you didn’t get those warnings therefore you were screwed over. You also stated someone at the record keeping side screwed up not you.

Plan guidelines aren’t going away. It’s never going to be the wild Wild West. Accept it.

Everyone knows what the system is, but you as the one defending it have not even attempted to explain why it is that way. “It’s just the way things are, deal with it” is not actually a reason something should remain the way it is.

8 Likes

I have used both the UK, US and Russian systems. I actually preferred the Russian system over the US. The degree of complexity in the US system doesn’t benefit “consumers” - I hate the idea we are only ever consumers - the correct term is patients. Assuming markets and describing people as consumers is neoliberal bullshit.

I have found the US system to be prone to all sorts of potential traps - even after Obamacare which at least reformed some of the most obvious horrors of the system. Its funny how the really poor do better than the merely lower middle class. Medicare/Medicaid is actually pretty good. However HMOs can be really crap. And heaven forbid that you are self-employed or unemployed and not eligible for medicaid.

At least with the Russian system you can just buy the healthcare you need at fairly reasonable prices.

But the thing that I hate the most about the US system is the amount of time I have to spend trying to understand it. The complexity works against the population and favors the insurance providers. Its a massive cost to all users and one the companies don’t have any incentive to reduce. And subjectively I cant help but think its also the hallmark of a rigged game.

7 Likes

There’s another big reason for having it in a narrow window–to avoid the I’m-sick-now-buy-insurance issue.

As for a typo denying coverage–perhaps it’s someone trying to cover up their mistake. Many years ago my wife didn’t have formal work hours at all, she only came in when there was something for her to do. (Since she had a base salary of $0 and was paid based on what she did this was reasonable.) The insurance guy was told about her but dropped the ball. After that it was excuse after excuse as to why she couldn’t be covered. It all ended when she figured out who the guy in the chain above the agent was and called them. Presto, insurance restored.

2 Likes

[quote=“Loren_Pechtel, post:30, topic:102894”]
There’s another big reason for having it in a narrow window–to avoid the I’m-sick-now-buy-insurance issue.
[/quote]But wouldn’t that be solved with a simple contract on enrollment?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.